Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ED

How common is it for a pup to have ED on one elbow and not the other?

Re: ED

How old is the "pup"? It can happen from an injury.

7 months... No Injury..and I know this for a fact... Always had a slight "gimp" to his gait starting at 4 months... Create rested for 3 monnths per vets suggestiosn.. Diagnosed as a soft tissue injury

Your question,"how common is it" ?

The anwser, How common is it to rain in the Spring. Sad but true.

Thanks... So it is common to have Ed one one elbow and not billaterally..

It is not unusual for a pup to be diagnosed with ED on one side. If you x-ray again at age 4 you might be surprised to find that it is bilateral. That has been the experience of several breeders I know who routinely reevaluate their dogs at 4-5 years. Most people don't follow up with repeat films at a later age once a problem has been diagnosed young.

I agree. I think that most cases of unilateral ED turn out to be bilateral on further evaluation. I personally feel that it is more likely for unilateral ED to be caused by injury and so would feel only bilateral ED to be a sure sign of disease. I do guarantee elbows for my puppy buyers but because there is such a grey area here, I only cover bilateral.

I have a 3 year old that just had is elbows done. One elbow is Grade I DJD. Vet said probably an injury. The other elbow is clear in OFA's opinion.