Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Progesterone numbers

It's been awhile since we've bred. Can anyone give me quick review about progesterone numbers? What number signifies ovulation, etc.

Re: Progesterone numbers

The magic number you want to see is 5.

bdr

and breed 48-72 hours after that 5.

Good luck

Thanks!

Hutch says to breed 3 to 5 days after hitting 5.0. However a lot of people are breeding 2-4 days afterwards. I think I'd stick with Hutch.

Start testing at 6 to 7 days. Once you hit about 2.0 - she should be close to her LH surge. Test until you get to 5.0 (ovulation) and breed after 2 days and 4 days. If you are shipping chilled, watch the numbers so that you can get it shipped before a weekend, if needed - or use a chill5 or 10 instead of regular extender. I also figure breeding on days 3 and 5 or 4 and 6 post LH surge.

breeder
Hutch says to breed 3 to 5 days after hitting 5.0. However a lot of people are breeding 2-4 days afterwards. I think I'd stick with Hutch.

3 days after a 5.0 sounds just right to me. Repeat in 24 to 48 hours. If its Chill 5 or 10 split shipment, sent together, don't bring it to room temp at all. Especially don't for the 2nd AI when you do the 1st! Let it go cold right into the bitch both times she's AI'd. Her body will warm it quick enough. The semen will live much longer if refrigerated until immediately before use. If you leave it out, you'll ruin it. Ask Hutch if in doubt about anything. It could make the difference between a singleton or 10 pups.

bdr
You mean just for ovulation right? Never breed at 5.0 although some vets will tell you to begin then.