Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppies sucking on each other instead of nursing

I have a litter of two week old pups. They are fat and nurse too much. So I started taking mom out for small periods of time during the day. Well in the last week the pups have got really lazy They will constantly nurse on one another. They do this with mom in the box. They are just too lazy to get to where she is. I'm at my wits end, as the box is a constant mess and they are wet and messy all over their back end. As soon as one is nursing on them they let all poop and pee go and the box is gross. Any suggestions?
At this time we put dividers in a tote and take them out totally, but that's a pain in the butt too. I've whelped alot of litters and never had pups this bad!
Thanks in advnance for any advice.

Re: Puppies sucking on each other instead of nursing

They're puppies.

Expect a mess. Get mom in there and put the puppies on her more often.

Sounds like to much human interference with mom and the pups. Let the mother take care of her pups and they should do fine.

Mom is in with the pups. But they are so big I'm going to have swimmer pups if I don't do something. The pups won't go to mom to drink, they nurse on each other.

You won't have swimmer pups from them getting too fat. True swimmers have a mal-formed chest area. At their age they should already be up on their feet, so don't worry about that!

Just to set the story straight. Swimmers get to be swimmers because they get too fat too fast and from flooring that is not good. Also, yes they do get wierd chests, but that is not what causes swimmers- it is a result of it. The puppies are hungry and by taking the Mom out, you are making things worse and that is why you have to clean up messes all of the time. If they were mine, I would be starting them on gruel ( an Cream of Wheat mush made by using the regular puppy food, a little yogurt and water and blend it to a mush) If they are not up on their feet yet, you can start by giving each puppy about a few tablespoons of the gruel. We hold the puppy and put the gruel on a saucer and hold it up under his chin and he will start to lick. Maybe you are not into this much work, but it is part of the big plan. I would do this 10 am and 3 pm and work up to more and more. Soon they will be upon their feet and can stand all around a saucer and eat. Ellie

I'll have to disagree with you Ellie - the swimmer puppies I've had have generally been the smaller puppies in the litter and their chests are flat from day 1. Their bigger siblings didn't have any problems getting up on their feet at all. Has nothing to do with when they start eating!

Well, I disagree with you,too. I have had many litters over 30 years and the only ones I have had who started to flatten out were the larger puppies. That is unless you have one who has a problem to start with as I once has and it was a smaller puppy who just was not getting good lung function. Those puppies are usually the smaller one who maybe had a problem starting to beathe. But I didn't say that feeding was involved except that when the puppies start eating then they aren't looking to suck on each other. And there is another thing this person could do and it would be to just put out a hand and put the puppies on the Mother. It seems all you "breeders" want to do is to to let the world know just how smart you are. There has to be an ego thing going on. Ellie

Ellie,it only makes sense to show the pups to the mothers if they are being "lazy". A good topic, things i've not heard of, so although some of you dont agree with each other, thanks for the inputs. You mentioned the flooring, what should it be made of? I was thinking a wood-like lenolium that has some rough texture to it? can flooring that is too slick cause this problem?

I just don't like any smooth surface like newspaper. Anything that gives them traction will do. Also we cut front toenails, but not the rear ones for awhile. This helps them get around. There are others on here who know a lot about these things. I just thought I would help with what I know. ellie

Thanks for the info Ellie