Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DNA Tests for EIC, CNM, coat color, coat length

Hi, just received this message from DDC in my inbox, they are extending their sale...

Hello,

Due to the overwhelming success of our recent promotion on DNA tests we decided to extend the deadline to include all samples received by June 30!

For all dogs tested between now and June 30 we are offering a very special promotion on all of our inherited disease and trait DNA tests.

Here’s how it works:

Same low price of $58 for the first DNA test, then $20 for each subsequent DNA test ordered for the same dog. This special pricing can be applied to all of our DNA testing options found within these links...
http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-disease-test.html
http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-traits-test.html

For example: Rover needs tested for EIC = $58.
Get Rover tested for CNM for only $20.
See if he carries chocolate (Coat Color-B locus) for another $20
And if he carries yellow (Coat Color-E locus) for $20 more!

Send in 5 or more dogs for testing & receive an additional $10 off of the base price!! The base price is $48 per dog for the 1st inherited traits or disease test.
Add a 2nd test for the same dog for only $20 ($68 total).
Add a 3rd test (same dog) for another $20 ($88 total). And so on.
Send 5 dogs for Degenerative Myelopathy (5 X $48 = $240) & add Coat Length testing for all 5 dogs for $20 more per dog = $340. That's $140 off of our regular discounted price!

All samples must be received at DDC Veterinary by June 30, 2010.

It has always been our mission to provide our clients with the very best value:

-The lowest price
-Fastest turnaround on results (normally just a few days and no longer than 10 days guaranteed)
-Guaranteed 100% accuracy
-Free sample collection kits
-DNA tests with the convenience of a cheek swab (equally accurate as blood)
-Pups can be DNA tested at ANY age.

Call or just reply to this email to take advantage of this great offer!

Please feel free to cross post and share this news with all of your friends, and thanks again for choosing DDC.

Best wishes,

Randall Smith
DDC Veterinary
One DDC Way
Fairfield, Ohio 45014
1-800-625-0874
www.vetdnacenter.com

Re: DNA Tests for EIC, CNM, coat color, coat length

I wonder why none of the DNA testing labs offer a test for the dilute gene? That way we won't accidently breed any more silvers and be accused of "killing them". Oh wait, that's right the dilute gene, responsible for silvers is not in the general population of Labradors. So much for that theory.

I think it is the D locus marker test at DDC.
http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-dna-coat-color.html
Haven't used it--yet.

I used DDC for some testing, I was very happy with them. I wouldn't hesitate using them for any of those tests opposed to Ingen.

I recieved results in a week, 1st by email then by snail mail a few days later.

Charlotte K.
Haven't used it--yet.

I think that is for other breeds. Although I'm sure you could look for it in Labradors, they are very clear about only types of colors they test for in Labs and none of them include D locus. They offer other coat color tests too, but they apply to other breeds. Let's hope we never have to start testing for it. Sadly as silver breeders continue to infiltrate show lines with the dilute gene, we may end having to test for it or just finally accept the color.

I have used DDC several times and highly recommended them, fast turn around time.
In looking around at the various DNA labs, it appears the dilute gene can be tested for at many labs. DDC, Vetgen, Healthgene (they even list it as a Labrador color), UC Davis, Ingen used to, not sure now since they have had so many problems recently, there might be others....

DNA'r
Charlotte K.
Haven't used it--yet.

I think that is for other breeds. Although I'm sure you could look for it in Labradors, they are very clear about only types of colors they test for in Labs and none of them include D locus. They offer other coat color tests too, but they apply to other breeds.

Over 2 years ago I tested for color with DDC and didn't know how to order my tests. I asked them which tests I should get done and the D locus was one of the tests that was offered as available to me. They couldn't tell me the significance of testing for it so I never did the test. I asked if other lab owners have ever ordered that test and I was told one or two had done it. (over 2 years ago)

Do they come by email a week from when you mail or a week from when they receive? I mailed some a week ago and didn't get a email confirmation of receipt.

I just took advantage of the DDC special. i have used them in the past (the last 2 years) for coat color, EIC and now for CNM. They are very fast and very informative. A couple of weeks ago i sent samples out on a Saturday morning. I received confirmation by email by the following weekend and about 5 days after that i received the certificates in the mail. I did do coat color recently on 2 chocolates and i asked about looking for yellow and they tested the D locus.

Kathy Coleman
I just took advantage of the DDC special. i have used them in the past (the last 2 years) for coat color, EIC and now for CNM. They are very fast and very informative. A couple of weeks ago i sent samples out on a Saturday morning. I received confirmation by email by the following weekend and about 5 days after that i received the certificates in the mail. I did do coat color recently on 2 chocolates and i asked about looking for yellow and they tested the D locus.

Here is what the DDC has about the D locus:

D Locus (DNA marker tested – C.22G>A)
Associated with the dilution or lightening effect of the solid colors Black and Brown, with D being the dominant allele, the dd genotype results in the diluted effect.

The D Locus has nothing to do with hidden yellow.

I just noticed that I left out in my post above that my dog was yellow and they had only done a couple of D locus studies in yellows (at that time).

The color coat predictor chart does not list the D locus.