Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy food

I am looking to see if anyone feeds Chicken soup or Wellness brand or, could give me input on puppy foods they are having good results with other than Pro Plan...
I have a new litter. others were raised on PP however, mom isn't doing great on it and I want to put babies on something new.
Any suggestions that would be also easy for families to purchase.
Thanks to anyone who will respond-even though this may have been discussed before.

Re: puppy food

I have tried many different foods for litters of puppies and have settled on Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Puppy Formula. This is a high quality food and the puppies do very well on it (grow steadily, no mushy poops, and they like it)! I don't seem to have a difficult time finding it, but I do know that some of my puppy buyers have had to request to have it ordered by their pet food stores, but then it wasn't a problem after that! Their website is user friendly and will match stores that carry their food by zip code.

I think that Innova from the Natura company is a great puppy food (and also an adult brand). It should be easy to find soon, as P & G just bought them. I am hoping they stay as great as they have been! Read the ingredients.......awesome!

Thumbs up for the chicken soup!!

In almost 25 years in dogs I've fed raw, eukanuba, and many of the expensive food with the "impressive" ingredients. Chicken Soup gave my puppies some awful poops. Hands down the best puppy food I've ever fed is Royal Canin Starter (aka Babydog). Their adults foods are OK and I don't use them on all my dogs.

I changed my dogs to Eagle Pack about a year ago. Almost all my adults are in Power Formula and Puppies in Puppy small and medium breed formula, and they are doing fantastic.

You can't beat the Kirland Chicken and rice puppy food at Costco.

I didn't know it was okay to feed the small and med, breed puppy food-how long do you keep them on this?
Have you ever used their Holistic line and if so did you like it as well
thank you

BDR
You can't beat the Kirland Chicken and rice puppy food at Costco.

It works for all of my dogs. I have pups on it by 3 mo. Next litter I might just use it from the very beginning.

Low cost and quality are both there, how can ya go wrong feeding it? The label was posted the other day. I re-read the ingredients for the 10th time, it's great food for a great price with no changes made.

I feed EP small medium breed puppy formula only the first 6 months, then they eat the original adult formula. I was sending my pet puppies with the Large Breed Formula but I didn't like the way they turned out. I think their LB puppy formula is very restrictive. Last week I ran out of the SMB puppy and used the LB and my pups lost weight, so no more LB. I don't use the Holistic, b/c is more expensive and I think the little corn on the original helps to solidify the poops and so far so good. I also use IAMS for some of my dogs that don't gain weight eating high protein foods. Puppies from those lines eat Iams/EP mix or Iams puppy. Each dog is different, as many had said in this forum, just turn around and I have 5 different formulas for my dogs. The only down point is their Puppy packages SUCK!