Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thyroid medications for ovulation

I just heard a wild story about a breeder that gave a thyroid supplement although the bitch was low *normal*. Reason, to get her to ovulate better for a breeding.

I have heard this before but by rumor, this breeder has told several others. I just can't believe a breeder is actually supplementing thyroid hormones to try to get more pups out of a bitch.

Have any of you heard of this before and aren't most Labs typically on the low, *normal* end of thyroid testing?

Once on thyroid medication, dogs usually remain on it the rest of their lives.

Re: Thyroid medications for ovulation

I've heard of giving a bitch thyroid meds to make her come into season. Been told it works too.

Perhaps you misunderstood ?

Maybe, if she gives the dog enough, without needing it she can give the dog a heart attack or adrenal failure. Some people are just idiots who think medication is candy that they can dispense without reason. Thyroid meds work on a cellular level and will produce many changes she is not aware of. Most endocrinologists will tell you that even internists don't understand the subtle workings of thyroid hormones.

breeder1
I've heard of giving a bitch thyroid meds to make her come into season. Been told it works too.

Perhaps you misunderstood ?

No, I didn't misunderstand but wish I did. A vet told this breeder that her bitch would ovulate more eggs and have a larger litter on thyroid medication. She's craving a good size litter out of her only current breeding bitch.

She began the girl on thyroid medication 3 mo. before breeding in hopes of more pups then she's produced in the past.

I would worry about a heart attack also. These medications can do lots of damage especially when not required. I even heard of a dog that seizes from being treated without vet approval but that's one of the rumors. This case was discussed in great depth and the other breeders repeated it to several of us. I wish I didn't hear this to be honest. I find it disturbing.