Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CD

Hi Please Help Me.

I would like to know What it takes to get a CD on your dog.. Or if You would please attach the link... Thanks

Companion Dog Re: CD

Your Lab must be registered or have a PAL. You may wish to start with a Canine Good Citizen test, Rally, or with the new Beginner Novice title offered starting July 1 at some shows. In AKC, the links include

http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/getting_started.cfm
"NOVICE - For the dog just getting started in obedience. Exercises include:

Heel on Leash and Figure Eight - show whether the dog has learned to watch its handler and adjust its pace to stay with the handler.
Heel Free - done off leash.
Stand for Examination - is of great benefit when the dog needs hands-on care by a veterinarian.
Recall - provides the handler with the ability to call the dog and get an immediate response at all times.
Long Sit (1 minute) - allows the handler to have control of the dog when visitors come to the home.
Long Down (3 minutes) - dog must remain in a down position."

and updates, including Beginner Novice
http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/obedience_rules_2010.cfm
There is no Stand for Exam in Beginners Novice, and no group stays or down stay. Heeling and Figure 8 (also heeling) are done on lead.

Watch a few trials or attend matches if possible before entering. A Companion Dog title is a good goal, and you may wish to go further!

Happy heeling!

Way to go! Very good information from previous poster. If possible, join an obedience club or learn from an experienced and titled obedience/rally handler. In traditional obedience; CD,Open and Utility and unlike Rally, the handler cannot give encouragement or praise. I started my chocolate boy in Rally and finished with an RE. For me, Rally gave me and my dog confidence to go onto trad. Obed. We are now working towards our CDX title and doing some Utility training.

I encourage you to go to matches and trials. Ask questions, get the AKC OBED/Rally rules and regs book (you can view them on AKC website). Remember, this is an opportunity for you and your dog to work as a TEAM and have FUN!

Hi,
welcome to the wonderful world of performance events. You can download or purchase very reasonably from AKC all the rules for Obedience trials. It outlines everything you need to know about the "test" for the CD.

I also suggest you find a good trainer or group to work with. Go and observe some of the classes and see if you like what you see and the methods. Talk to other folks in your area about where they train?
Perhaps if you posted your location folks could direct you .

Best of luck!

Kim and MACH 2 RANGER UD,MXF,MX,MXJ,JH,WC,CC