Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennel Names - so close, yet so far

How many of you have a kennel name that is registered with the CKC or AKC, and the names are off by 1 letter or a couple letters?

How do you react to this? I try to not get frustrated, but sometimes you see a kennel name that has been around for almost 40 years, and then someone just changes one letter in the name for their kennel name - but with a quick glance you would think it is just a spelling error for the original kennel.

It is bound to happen, I know - But sometimes my nerves get out of control. People should do research on the kennel name that they chose and check all registry's so that you are UNIQUE and not just trying to run on someone else's kennel name.

Re: Kennel Names - so close, yet so far

Yes, and sometimes there is not even an attempt at "misspelling". Like Cedarwood being stolen and moved from the West Coast to the East.... in the words of Shakespeare, "there is no honor among thieves".

And having had several bitches from the West Coast kennel but being on the East coast I always have to say "From Washington, not from ..."

Mine is not "registered" with AKC yet, but I did incorporate it, and that makes my accountant happy.

I'm not meaning to be snarky here, but why do you need to incorporate a kennel name? Do you have a boarding kennel, perhaps? I mean, most of us have losses every year and the IRS doesn't allow you to write off losses year after year - you have to eventually make a profit or they consider it a hobby.

Uh huh...
...and sometimes there is not even an attempt at "misspelling". Like Cedarwood being stolen and moved from the West Coast to the East....

According to their respective websites, one began in 1978 and the other in the late 70's. Both have show champions with performance titles. That doesn't sound like riding on anyone's coattails - especially in the 70's before the internet was available and the kennels are on the opposite coasts. Explain "stolen"...

I am not trying to stir the pot here, and it certainly didn't come to mind about that kennel. If they are both aware and are fine with that, which by this time - they must be. Then I am glad.

But it is these other bimbos - that do have the internet now at their finger tips, that can *easily* look up and see if the kennel name exists. Do your research people and BE UNIQUE!!!!!!

The original kennel names have made such an impact on our breed for the past ~40 years or more, and have earned their name. And a lot of them take pride in their kennel name (Family Name, Origin of Birth, Combination of both etc)

I can easily give examples, but that defeats the purpose.

anon
I am not trying to stir the pot here, and it certainly didn't come to mind about that kennel. If they are both aware and are fine with that, which by this time - they must be. Then I am glad.

But it is these other bimbos - that do have the internet now at their finger tips, that can *easily* look up and see if the kennel name exists. Do your research people and BE UNIQUE!!!!!!

The original kennel names have made such an impact on our breed for the past ~40 years or more, and have earned their name. And a lot of them take pride in their kennel name (Family Name, Origin of Birth, Combination of both etc)

I can easily give examples, but that defeats the purpose.

Oh Right! Not trying to stir the pot, hmmmmm?????

No I'm not. If I wanted to, I would have named Kennel Names.

"not so" I don't find your post that useful, so please keep your harshness to yourself.

I am asking a legitimate question to those that see their kennel names adjusted in the slightest and asking what they would do or how they feel about it?

anon, I don't find this entire thread "useful" and it seems that others don't either, since no one is answering your question.

What? Did someone copy your kennel name and change the spelling? So go and confront the person who did it. Why come on here to start trouble?

People like you are evil. You obviously know all the answers and have never once had to ask a question. Here is some pity for you for the day that you do have a question and hit a brick wall because you are a very closed minded individual.

A Forum is for open discussions. And this is one of those discussions, so please do not try go raining on other peoples day. I have the right to ask a question, and you have no right trying to put me down for asking it.

And no, it is not my kennel name that is in question. I am referring to several others.

Good Day.

Quote from your post: "And no, it is not my kennel name that is in question. I am referring to several others."

Then it is probably none of your business anyway!

anon

Certainly not! The one from the west is not fine with that. She Cyber-stalks people that are involved with the one from the east.

stolen?
Uh huh...
...and sometimes there is not even an attempt at "misspelling". Like Cedarwood being stolen and moved from the West Coast to the East....

According to their respective websites, one began in 1978 and the other in the late 70's. Both have show champions with performance titles. That doesn't sound like riding on anyone's coattails - especially in the 70's before the internet was available and the kennels are on the opposite coasts. Explain "stolen"...

Simple. One can document her history going back that far, and those of us that were around back then remember her being extremely active in the breed, showing at specialties (which she still does) and writing for the LQ (which she still does). She did that stuff for years before the other one showed up. And no, she's not okay with it.

That's confusing to have the same kennel name but different breeder!!! Aren't there any laws about this? Like FCI rules you can't breed under a kennel name until you have applied for that specific name and they approve it. That way there is no breeder with the same kennel name under FCI rules.
Here you can find a list of all kennel names that FCI has approved of: http://www.fci.be/affixes.aspx

There have been more over the years that copy. Some give it up. Some do just change a letter or two. Be original. Same with dog names. Stud dogs. Look around, go to OFA site put the name. Ton of names to be used.

in the 20 years of breeding I have never heard of the FCI.

some of the breeders have been around way before the internet so LQ and such were the only way of tracking names.

Mine happens to be a Sir name so I cant register it with AKC, there are a few field trial dogs from another kennel using it but not enough to bother me.

Labs
in the 20 years of breeding I have never heard of the FCI.

You need to get out more :)
http://s87153149.onlinehome.us/NLRCfci2.html

just because there is a FCI does not mean it is the "word" of labradors or kennel names.
Its not like everyone should know about it or your stupid. :O(

Many kennels were around way before the internet became.

err, It is you're or you are..... your stupid is like the stupid that belongs to him or her.....

Some names might be close, but are not meant to be any type of a copy.

That is ridiculous. Why would you even chose a name that is close? There is no need to pick a name even remotely close to another kennels name. Dumb!

Maybe because someone likes the name and they want to use it. No crime in that and certainly not DUMB! Some names sound alike or are close in spelling, but are not the same and don't have the same meaning.
Take it as a compliment and get on with your life.

DUMB yes. Certainly you can muster up a little more creativity. Be original, unique and creative.

That's like using a black dress for a party and bitch about other women that used a black dress. If you have a kennel name with common words it is your fault. whateverwood, dreamwhatever, whateverfield. Get something original and something that you can register with the AKC if you are going to be so picky.