Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
waterproofing foam beds?

I haven't seen this discussed yet. I have a Beasley couch, with a two inch foam covered by a fabric that my dogs love. The foam is too big to put in a washing machine. Well, the puppy peed on it a couple days ago, so I have to wash the foam. Right now I have it in my shower, and I've been soaking it and then WALKING on it to get the dirty water out! Much of the dirty water soaks right back into the thick foam. Any ideas on how to waterproof the foam so that washing it would to unnecessary or at least easier? I've thought about covering it with a large (very large) plastic bag. How do you wash large pieces of foam?

Re: waterproofing foam beds?

Hmm....a laundromat with a BIG machine might work so long as it doesn't destroy the foam.

Go to Joanne fabrics and look for the crib sheeting that is used under the baby crib sheet to waterproof the mattress. It is not too thick and has baby prints on it, but you can tell it has a rubber inside to the flannel outside of the fabric. Buy a length as wide as your cushion and long enough to wrap over the edge of the foam cushion from the top around the front edge to the bottom. Then put your cushion cover on top of this. I also use the stuff over the arms of my sofa under my slipcovers in case of spills and just general dog drool.
Rinse your foam with fabric softener in a bucket of water (pour it over) outside on your deck and it won't soak back up so much of the water. It will take a day or two in the sun to be sure all odor is gone. Sunlight really helps kill odor.

Thanks for the crib mattress cover idea. I was planning to let it dry in the sun-if we ever get any! Actually, it's not supposed to rain tomorrow.

I buy dog beds from Costco all the time. I got sick of replacing the beds because the young dogs would pee on them from time to time. Now I take the material cover off the dog bed and use large, thicker quality garbage bags to put the inside of the dog beds in. I use duct tape to secure the foam or sometimes its a cedar wrapped bag. Works like a charm. I check it now and then for tears in the garbage bag.

Just wash the cover and hose off the foam really, really well. I've also washed Odoban through the foam as well, but it doesn't seem to matter. Works for me, and the picky girls will lay in the pad when it's dry, so I know it works as they wouldn't be caught dead laying on a pee spot!