Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 - 3" diameter sore

I picked Kate up tonight from the vet, she's been there since Saturday for breeding purposes. When she jumped up into the SUV, I noticed a mark on her left flank by her tail. Got her home, looked her over, it was dried poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scrubbed off the poop with dishsoap and underneath is a 2 -- 3" diameter sore and I still can't get the caked off poop off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP, what else to use without inflaming the sore worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 - 3" diameter sore

Maybe some Gold Bond Powder, first and foremost, maybe some baby oil to get the debris off her coat. That should soothe her skin, unless this is a full blown HOT SPOT from the neglect !

Then a very nasty phone call to the Vet Clinic, for allowing her to soil her crate, and FOR BEING SO NEGLIGENT AS TO NOT CLEAN HER UP AFTER SHE DID !!!

I find this outrageous unprofessional services, and I'd likely not pay the board bill at all!

I didn't even think of baby oil, going to try that right now!!!!!!! I just don't want to inflame the inner section but the dried poop is still caked firm to her skin!!!!!!!!!! PO'D, you can't even fathom!!!!!!

It's moistening it, but not much coming off. I don't want to debrade the skin that is there!!!!!!!!!!!

I would use 1/2 betadine 1/2 hydrogen peroxide..use cotton balls to moisten the area and remove what is there-the mixture will cleanse the area and the betadine will disinfect it as well, I would then apply bacitracin.

In the show stable I used to board my horse at, the concoction of choice was 1/2 betadine 1/2 baby oil 3 times a day for 3 days, then bag balm after that twice a day for however long it took to completely heal. As for the poop, try soaking in warm (antibacterial)soapy water for awhile to losen it up. Your post made me angry, how dare they?!

I would definately make a trip up to the Vet clinic and show them the sore on Kate. What a mess. And I agree, I would NOT pay the boarding fee!!

As a wound nurse I can tell you that after the first application of Betadine and Hyrdrogen peroxide unless there is a need to furthur debride a wound those products are contraindicated for wound healing, they will destroy newly granulating(healing) tissue.

If you need to cleanse the wound use normal saline, you can make your own by boiling water and salt.
Keeping the wound bed moist with something like Bacitracin is a great idea. I personally use raw honey,it nourishes healing tissue and it's natural antibacterial properties keep the bacteria count in the wound at pretty much nil.

A trip back to that clinic first and foremost, they need to see that wound and I would expect them to pay for treatment!!