Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Congrats to new Grand Champion!!!

Congrats to Sue Willumsen on her new Grand Champion - Walter .... CH Willcare Fly Under the Radar.

Walter finished his Grand Champion at Greater Boston ....

First chocolate Labrador Grand Champion .... could he be the first Labrador Grand Champion? Does anyone know a Grand Champion to brag about?

Great dog and great owner .... Sue good luck to you, Kathy and Walter in the groups

Re: Congrats to new Grand Champion!!!

What is a grand champion?

It is a new AKC title open to AKC champions... just started in the spring

From the AKC web site

Competition for this new title will be judged during the Best of Breed/Variety competition at all-breed, group and specialty shows. All Champions of Record entered in the Best of Breed/Variety competition will be eligible to compete for Grand Championship points. There is no additional entry fee. Grand Championship points are awarded, at the judge’s discretion, to the following placements: Best of Breed/Variety, Best of Opposite Sex, Select Dog and Select Bitch. Select Dog and Select Bitch are Champions that were recognized as the top quality of their sex after BOB and BOS have been awarded.

Grand Championship points are calculated using the same AKC Point Schedule as is used for Championship points. (Dogs entered in non-regular classes are not counted in the computation of Championship or Grand Championship points.) Champions of Record including champions that are non-regular class winners (i.e. Veterans Class Winners) or dogs that have been "moved up" to Best of Breed competition for the show are the only dogs eligible for Grand Championship points. Although Winners Dog or Winners Bitch can win Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, in no case will they be eligible for Grand Champion competition.

Grand Championship points may be awarded to eligible dogs as follows:

Best of Breed – All dogs of both sexes in the breed or variety exhibited in the regular classes and Best of Breed competition will be counted
Best of Opposite Sex to Best of Breed – All dogs of the same sex in the breed or variety exhibited in the regular classes and Best of Breed competition will be counted
Select Dog or Select Bitch – The total number of dogs of the same sex in the breed/variety defeated in the regular classes and BOB competition will be counted. (i.e. 2 dogs less than the total number of the same sex)
Completion of the title requires all of the following:

Twenty five Grand Championship points
Three "majors" (three or more points earned at a single show) won under three different judges
At least one or more of these points won under a fourth judge
Must have defeated at least one other AKC Champion of Record at three shows
Starting in 2010, dogs who earn their Grand Champion title will receive an invitation to the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.

How exciting!! Congratulations!!

Wow, congratulations!

Mmmmm. Chocolate! Congrats!

Will the AKC notify you with a certificate? I am not sure of the start date or the total points my dog has now? TIA

Congratulations Sue and Walter!

Are you sure he got his grand??? It does not seem possible. It only started a short time ago.

Walter definitely received his Grand Championship!!! He has been handled by Kathy Mines or myself. He has won Best of Breed or Select at every show he has been shown at. As of June 18th, he had 27 points! Thank you for all the nice congrats for my boy!

CONGRATULATIONS TO SUE AND WALTER-----HOW VERY EXCEITING AND COMPLETELY WELL-DESERVED!!!!!!!!

WE AR3E SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU

MARIANNE AND THE CEDARBAY KIDS

Late reading the news. How exciting. A chocolate and I do wonder if it is the first grand champion. BIG CONGRATS to Sue, Walter and the hard work from Kathy.
Ya'll did good !!

wonderful news Sue!