Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First Time Season for puppy bitch

I just have a general question. When should I expect my puppy bitch, now seven months old, to come into season. I know there are exceptions, but when would be the usual.

Thank you for responding,
BW

Re: First Time Season for puppy bitch

Earliest I have had is 8 months. Latest I have had was over 2 years old. I believe the average would be about 9-10 months.

I've had one come in at 6 months. Normal , if there is such a thing, should be between 9-12 months. Some I have heard wait untill 18 .

Ask the puppy's breeder when her mother first came in, that would give you your best approximate guess.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond and for your advice.

The earliest I had was 8 months - but she was kenneled next to an older bitch that came into season. Her littermate sister, who was kenneled on the farthest side didn't come in until about 12-13 months. The mother around 14 months and all her other daughters 12+ months.

I have a 19 month old girl who I'm still waiting patiently for to come into her first heat. My 16 month old girl is due to come in for the 2nd time in mid July(she came in for the first time at 11 months), I'm going to try to bring my older girl in by keeping them together. Hopefully it'll work;)

Mine have come in as early as 7 months and as late as 18 months. Generally they like to pick very invonvenient times!

I have had one come in 7 mos. all others were 11/12 mos. Then we all have the one that holds out to 16 or 18 mos. No way of knowing. Do think it would run in lines to a degree.