Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rectal prolapse

I would like to hear some personal stories about anyone who has had this. I came home and my dog had about a fist size of his rectum hanging out. Went to the vet a week ago with diarrhea. Vet thought it was from the 1000's of muleberrys he was getting too. Put him on meds and it was a little better but then got worse. So he was going in on monday to be treated for Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. This was just a guess treatment because his fecal was clear, he was eating fine, acting fine but has had blood in his stools. So he is staying the weekend at the vet and they are going to push it back in and put a stitch in it. Put him on fluids and antibiotics. My only thing is she could not give me much of an answer other than she does not know if it will stay in or if the tissue would be dead and need to have it cut out. Anyone have some exp. with this.

Re: Rectal prolapse

the poor boy...we had a puppy that had one...he was about 7 weeks old...was not nearly as bad as your boy's...we soaked his little butt four times a day for week and thankfully it went back where it was supposed be....He is 6 now and has not had any issues. I wish you both the best...

Re: Rectal prolapse

Had a Labrador puppy returned to me at oh 10 weeks or so with this problem. New owner let 'loose stools' carry on WAY too long and as a result of straining...prolapse. I had a stitch put in and feed a soft diet until the muscling around his anus improved and also I got that stool issue clearned up pdq. He would be 9 years old now, resold him to a pet home when he was about 5 months, never heard a word otherwise.
Also a young Standard Poodle puppy with it, about 5 weeks-was colic vet said. Again, a stitch and some TLC and puppy was A OK by 8 week mark.
Good luck with your guy.