Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How hot is it ?

Its so hot, tell us. What have you been doing for the dogs ? Even the pool water is hot.

Re: How hot is it ?

They are only out to potty. Then they are inside in the air conditioning.

I have to say that I really do not envy you for being in this heat! Also I was wondering... is it getting hotter and hotter each summer or is this just normal this heat?

Where I live in Iceland it's pretty nice and cool weather. Normally the heat is around 60 in the summer but can go up to 86 but that kind of heat is not normal and is only at someones porch/deck where there is no wind and the sun gets to shine.... sometimes in good days it gets up to 68 so my dogs are pretty comfortable laying and basking in the sun
At winters where I live it was from 40 to 50 so we almost didn't have any snow... I think it snowed once all last winter and the snow stayed for couple of days and than it was gone. How ever we never know how our winters will be like but for the past few years it has been with out snow... Our summers has also been a little hotter than usually (past 3 summers) but this year it looks like it is a bit cooler than past 3 years.
I just know that I would feel very miserable in this kind of heat you're having!

Too hot is what it is!!! Dogs go out to potty and back inside in the central air. Me too!

I have to hose (cold water) a pathway on my deck and slate walkway so my "oldies" can walk out to pee. It has been so hot that their feet burn ( hop on and off all fours) when trying to get out !! That is a first for me and I have lived here for 34 years !!

breeder
They are only out to potty. Then they are inside in the air conditioning.

Same here and a kiddy pool that I refresh as it gets hot

It's 94 here in Ohio. I have a mister that sprays overhead , attached to the fencing. The group are only out in the mornaing, then they are inside the kennel building w/large livestock fan on, I've managed to keep it below 70 degrees in there.

almost unbearable, i have to say.
we get up at 500am and walk and swim the dogs in the river, then all in the house till 400pm. then out just to potty and back in
as soon as the sun goes down the morning schedule is repeated,(no sleep for me LOL)
iam very lucky that my good friend owns 200 acres along the river, with trails etc, and set in a mile off the road, great for ex, dogs , LeeAnne

While I do not envy those in the Eastern parts of the US and Canada, this is just an unsually hot summer for them. Here in Los Angeles, especially along the coast, it's been very mild so far this summer. For the past 2 months we've had a heavy marine layer influence and rarely get to see the sun but for a few hours a day. It gets up to the mid 70s which is quite comfortable. But even in the valleys they are not seeing triple digits very often and haven't for the past few summers. I do remember when I moved to So Cal, I lived with a friend in the San Fernando Valley and it was scorching hot-110 degres for days on end. But with that said, some nights are just too hot for my pup, so he prefers to have an ice bottle with him in his crate to curl up next to. Stay cool guys!

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles,CA

Re: No ice in iceland?

I think Iceland sounds great. Had no idea you werent covered in snow though? Guess I wasnt paying attention in geography class.
It was 102 in Massachusetts yesterday. Not much better today. Massive humidity.
I walk pups for a living. I was feeling sorry for my sweaty self, until I passed a house getting a new roof! OUCH...it must hurt to be a roofer under these conditions.
One of our favorite clients just filled in their gorgeous pool a month ago. My Lab & their Golden "cry" as we walk on the burnt grass that is there now ! Thank goodness they own an HVAC company & their house is like a freezer. So all 3 of us crash on the tile floor for a quick cool down. Its a sight to see.
People have it much worse, I am sure.

Sandra B
I think Iceland sounds great. Had no idea you werent covered in snow though? Guess I wasnt paying attention in geography class.
I walk pups for a living. I was feeling sorry for my sweaty self, until I passed a house getting a new roof! OUCH...it must hurt to be a roofer under these conditions.
One of our favorite clients just filled in their gorgeous pool a month ago. My Lab & their Golden "cry" as we walk on the burnt grass that is there now ! Thank goodness they own an HVAC company & their house is like a freezer. So all 3 of us crash on the tile floor for a quick cool down. Its a sight to see.

The 2 most mis-named countries are Greenland and Iceland. They should swap names.

breeder
Sandra B

The 2 most mis-named countries are Greenland and Iceland. They should swap names.
I couldn't agree more! I have to admit though that when I was a young girl, we had allot of snow during the winter but in the later years we are lucky if we get snow where I live during winters... It's pretty funny when people ask if we live in snow houses

Looks like it is going to finally break. Thats just not how it is suppose to be. Everyone needs a break now.

It is still awful here today. The humidity is just thick. Everything is damp.