Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pain meds

Can you use Ibuprofen or Tylenol on dogs? I just spayed my female and only have a little Rimadyl in the house. Wondering if I have to contact vet for more or can just use a pain killer I already have at home. Thanks

Re: Pain meds

You shouldn't need to use pain killers for more than a day or two. Don't use any over-the-counter pain killers without asking your vet! I just had a girl spayed this week and my vet gave me Tramadol - she only needed a dose the evening of the procedure, then nothing since then.

Use Buffered asprin or ascriptin.

Tylenol and Motrin are both toxic to dogs!!! Never ever give them! Buffered aspirin is safe in a pinch but a dog who needs medication for pain needs to see a vet.

Can you use Ibuprofen or Tylenol on dogs? I just spayed my female and only have a little Rimadyl in the house. Wondering if I have to contact vet for more or can just use a pain killer I already have at home. Thanks

Both ibuprofen and tylenol are never used for dogs. It can make them very ill.

There are certain types and dosages of aspirin that cant be used but I would call your vet about it before just giving it to her. Some breeders recommend buffered, others enteric coated. I would ask your vet and not do anything without the vet approving it.

I wonder why he didn't send her home with tramadol or something else for the first couple of days? You paid for a spay, he/she should realize there is some pain post operative from any surgery. They could prescribe something you never use or will use to make her more comfortable. I find it a little disappointing that nothing was suggested in case of pain.

I spay all of my girls 3 to 9 months after a last litter at around age 7. Some require a day or 2 of a pain reliever, others have not appeared to need anything after the 1st day. I always get a script or small amount of pain killers and do what's needed for each individual girl.

We can read their pain level better than anyone else.

Please don't administer tylenol or motrin. Speak to your vet.

I was told no aspirin before or after surgery, it can cause bleeding. True in humans too.

Hummmm...
I was told no aspirin before or after surgery, it can cause bleeding. True in humans too.

Again, the recommendation is to call the vet.