Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Giardia

If your dog has had it, what med(s) did you use to get rid of it, and what was the length of treatment? Also, there is some talk about cysts still showing up after the dog is cured. Have you heard anything about this?

Oh and before anyone jumps up and says the dog needs to see a vet, the dog *is* under a vet's care, I'm just looking for a bigger picture.

Re: Giardia

My vet uses fenbendazole (Panacur) as drug of choice to treat Giardia. Our protocol is to use Safe Guard (fenbendazole)1cc per 5lbs 7 days of this, then off 7 days, then on again for another 7. My vet suggests washing all bedding and the dog after each 7 day treatment to remove any cysts.

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00425.htm
"Fenbendazole (Panacur), well known for its effectiveness against a variety of intestinal parasites, also appears to be very effective against Giardia. In a controlled trial at Cornell 6/6 dogs were effectively treated. The same dose that is used to treat roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and the tapeworm Taenia pisiformis (22 mg/lb orally once daily for 3 consecutive days) is used to treat Giardia. If the infection is not cleared on this regimen, a longer course of therapy is used (5 to 7 days). Fenbendazole has a proven track record for being very safe and is thought to not have any teratogenic effects. Fenbendazole is therefore the drug of choice for treatment of Giardia in pregnant animals."

The common remedy is Metranidazole but not sure on the spelling here or the dosage.

We normally dispense Metronidazole (AKA Flagyl ) for giardia twice daily for 7-10 days depending on which Doctor is prescribing it.

Is the 5cc per 5 pounds of dog given 2 times a day or just once a day ?

Also, is Safeguard safe to give to 8 week old kittens who have giardia ?

yup panacur and flagyl. sometimes flagyl can be a little tough on them especailly for long periods of time. it can cause the dog to have siezure like episodes.
adam

Giardia and sick of it
Is the 5cc per 5 pounds of dog given 2 times a day or just once a day ?

Also, is Safeguard safe to give to 8 week old kittens who have giardia ?

Hands down Fenbedazole is safer then Metronidazole. Fenbendazole/panacur is so safe that it was prescribed once for my litter at 3 weeks.

If you go to the article listed above (written by Todd R. Tams, DVM, Dipl ACVIM)
you will read:

"Metronidazole is only 67-74 percent effective in eliminating Giardia from dogs, however, and if a positive diagnosis is made fenbendazole would also be a reasonable choice. "

"Potential side effects of metronidazole include anorexia, vomiting, and neurologic problems (ataxia, vestibular problems, seizures)"

"Fenbendazole has a proven track record for being very safe and is thought to not have any teratogenic effects"

So why on earth if you know Fenbendazole treats girardia would you pick metro

Do you give the SafeGuard for Giardia, 2 times a day ?

I know the fish Zole tabs are given 2 times a day but I'm trying my Safeguard which is what I use for regular worming but I've never used Safeguard for Giardia...2 times a day for 7 days then 7 days off and then back on 7 days ??

no once a day

Thanks G Mom, now what about using Safeguard on your puppies and adult dogs just for worming them ? I've always given my pups and adult dogs one dose of Safegaurd and then every 2 weeks until the pups leave to their new homes. All dogs in our house hold are wormed with the pups as they all share the same yards at one point or another.

There are no directions on the safeguard bottle as far as giving it to dogs and how many days in a row etc. One vet told me that once every 2 wks is plenty for young puppies.

I normally use Nemex 2 for my 2 wk olds and continue every 2 wks but then switch the pups over to the safeguard which is more effective on my dogs.

I understand with regular Pnacur, you are suppose to give it 3 consecutive days in a row but it is not clear on the Safeguard bottle how you give it to dogs. I know the dosage but just not how many days in a row. Anybody know ??

for deworming I use for 3 consecutive days.

I use pyrantel at 2 & 4 weeks, and then the safeguard at 6 weeks for deworming.