Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
At what age do you see that your puppy is not working for you?

When do you usually see on puppies/youngsters that you are running on that they are not growing into as promising dogs as they where as puppies??
TIA

Re: At what age do you see that your puppy is not working for you?

We usually don't look at them until they are at least a year old. It really depends on the pedigree and how much patience you have.

Puppies have very cute stages, and then they have very ugly stages, where you ask yourself "uh, what was I thinking"

So, if you saw what you wanted at 8-12 weeks, and have patience, give them time.

at 2 years
Seriously, if you liked it at 8 weeks, stick to it until they are past the puppy stage. Some puppies look awful the first year and then they bloom amazing everyone around.
Even if he/she doesn't work at the end, you get to know your line better. Next time you'll have a better view of the picture.

18 months.

If they look good at 8 weeks, don't look confirmation wise till a year. At that point you might get them x-rayed and keep going. Things like the bite, eastie/westie, elbows out, high ear set, to much curl in the tail can happen anytime on the way to a year. Then you might need to decide before a year. Some go through alot, like someone else said those ugly ducklings can change. If you know your lines you wait on it. Alot give up to early on males.

C O N F O R M A T I O N ! ! ! IT IS CONFORMATION! Didn't you get the memo?

You know, if that is what is important to you go ahead and spell away. You look so big and important that way. I am so impressed. NOT. Sure if you put down others it has got to make you feel good for the day. CONFIRMATION I confirm that it was a good puppy. BM