Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
returned pup

I have a pup being returned. Her family is dealing with some circumstances and will no longer be able to care for her.(they will be traveling/moving back to India for the next few years) Shes a 14 months old spay/pet pup. I think I already have a family for her. SHe's being returned on Sunday and the new prospect family will be coming to look at her that Sunday. This is the first time I've had a pup returned. What is your protcol for returned pups/rehoming? Do you refund any money to the family that's returning her? ( I was thinking no) Do you charge the new family for her? (I was thinking yes.)
Is she signed back over to me and then the new family or is she signed over directly to the new family?
TIA for any info for a smooth transition/transaction.

Re: returned pup

I've had one girl returned. Spayed as well.

I refunded the returning owners $300 and charged the new owners $300.

When dogs are returned for reasons such as this, I do not return any money.

I have the dog signed back over to me--you never know if the prospective new family won't work out. Actually, all they have to do is sign the transfer of ownership on the back and leave the new owner blank for you to fill in later.

I do charge the new family something--depending on the circumstances, whether I had to do any rehabilitation, etc.

MWK

I had a similar experience. The people did not want a refund and I did not offer one. I did not want to be payed twice for the same dog. At the same time, I NEVER give a dog away.

The dog was adopted by a family who had purchased a puppy from me 5 years earlier. I asked them to give me a check payable to lab rescue. Everyone was pleased with the arrangement. LabMed would be a good alternative.

breeder
I had a similar experience. The people did not want a refund and I did not offer one. I did not want to be payed twice for the same dog. At the same time, I NEVER give a dog away.

The dog was adopted by a family who had purchased a puppy from me 5 years earlier. I asked them to give me a check payable to lab rescue. Everyone was pleased with the arrangement. LabMed would be a good alternative.

What a wonderful and selfless idea

Thanks for the input. I think I know what I'll do. Money being refunded was never discussed, I know their trust in me to re-home their pet to a good family is all they need. I'm also a trainer so will be making a few in-home visits to the new family for training and a smooth transition. So I will be figuring a small fee for that and the remainder of the purchase price will be donated to a Lab organization/charity (thanks great idea.)

For one thing I would like to keep her a few days myself and see her personality. Get to know if she is trained at all. Make sure she is safe around other dogs, kids, etc. There have been times when the person got nothing back. There was a time the pup was very trained sold fast and I gave the guy all his money back that he had paid for the pup. And yes, you do charge the new family. You NEVER give a dog away. They all have value and if you give them away then you take that value away. Be fair and if its a great home maybe just half of what they would pay for a new pup. JMHO

Yes, though the potential new family will be coming to see her Sunday, I most likely will be keeping her for a few days, to temperament test her and such. I saw her a six months for a puppy reunion and know she had attended puppy training class as it's in my contract for pet homes, I offer it as part of the purchase price for my local pups but this family happened to live out of the area so, I found a good training facility near them. I do not give pups away as I believe all pups have value as well. As well learned a lesson years ago about that, but that’s a different story. But did not feel comfortable as someone else mentioned about getting paid twice for a pup, that’s why I do like the idea of a donation and do have a discounted price in my head that includes in home training for the new family and pup.

I do not give money refund in this cases. I sell the dog again, but I keep it to evaluate her and make sure she goes to the right family to avoid another re-homing.

I've based each pup - returns or pups I've run on that I've placed - as individuals. Some I've sold discounted (ie $300 to returning owner and $300 paid by new owner) etc

The one I've liked the most is for my grown out pups - new owner pays cost of transfer of registration, pays to spay / neuter and before any registration exchange occurs the new owner puts the puppy through minimum of 2 levels of obedience in a 6 month period. So they aren't getting a puppy for free and they have to do quite a bit of interaction with their new family member. This has worked for me as I just want to see them in a great home and they are still putting out $ so it's not a "free" pup by any means. I see it as a win win for everyone.

I know all dogs have value, but what do you do if a dog is returned for a reason as say, they have a health issue, orthopedic issue such as HD, ED or OCD, a heart condition,etc. Then do you place a dog for no money?

All dogs have a value. They have had all shots, are spayed or neuter, crate trained, leash trained, say most. So no you don't give them away. No matter what illness. Charge something, say its for the shots and health checks. When they don't work out for show because of elbow, bad hip, we still sale them at almost full puppy price and some do full. Those dogs have so much to give a family. We have all kept one with bad hips and most I know are fine forever. They all will slow down in old age.

I've had this situation; returned because of an elbow problem - returned money in full. She is now in a new home that is well aware of the situation and wanted to pay for her. I said that I did not want any money, just a good home. I asked that they put the "purchase price" money into the best care they can for her. It has worked out beautifully; they keep in touch, dog is happy and healthy now.

Re: returned pup Fee protocol

If the pup is being returned healthy, trained, socialize with no issues because of the situation you described above, then NO MONEY REFUND. They had had for 14 months, their life situation didn't work out, the problem was not with the pup.
I would charge the new family FULL price for pup, possibly a $100 or $200. THere is nothing wrong with the pup, she is valuable as a family member, all trained, shots and ready to be part of a family AND she is still a puppy so hopefully many years ahead.

I don't understand. Is you full price $100 or $200? That has to be a type-o.

Yep, don't understand. Full price, yes. What is the $100 or $200 ?

Young adults from breeders that are crate trained, leash broken and have some obedience are as valuable as an 8 week old puppy and I have always charged full puppy price. They are also in demand.

If a dog was returned, it would stay with me until I knew all of the above was true and then the pup would be sold for the puppy price in my area.

My contract reads that "if unable at anytime to provide a home for their dog, dog shall be returned to me for rehoming" or something similar to that wording..........it also "implies no financial obligation on my part" IF someone contacted me and had a great home already lined up I'd prolly be agreeable to that but if a dog is returned to me, with all paperwork and Vet records I'd evaluate and then attempt to place the dog in a suitable home, I'd certainly charge a fee for a sound , sane pet. If there's $$$ left after any Vet bills / training etc then I'd share that with the former owners.

No two situations are the same so being flexible counts.

In the case of a returned / unsound dog I'd feel obligated to refund at least a portion of the purchase price, again this all depends on the contract and actual situation.

I'll place it for $50 that goes to a health research fund.

sorry, it was a typo, I was rushing off the work.
what I meant to type was I would (and do this all the time) charge $100 or $200 more than what I sell my 8 week old puppies for.