Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to make Safeguard palatable?

I have a couple of dogs that will reject their food if it has Safeguard in it. I then have to squirt it down their throats which is even worse.

Are there any additions that make it more palatable?
Do you need to change the amount of Safeguard so as not to dilute it to keep it at the same strength?

Re: How to make Safeguard palatable?

Corn syrup liberally squirted on the food.

I mix it with a small amount of fresh pate or even a canned food, something stinky and unusual that they like, even canned cat food. Make sure it is the pasty/loaf kind, not the gravy kind. Give them small amounts, preferably with another dog nearby (not able to grab, though); the other dog may encourage them to gulp it. If they really hate it, don't give it while on show lead, but I would encourage baiting and gulping! Also, have little meat balls of the pate or canned food that have nothing in it as a first taste and last taste. Then give the regular food, with no wormer on it. I want the smell to get them wolfing it down, and would not rely on the corn syrup if they already hate it, as they will smell it otherwise. If pate, it can be blended or food processed liver, but NO ONIONS! You want something if a canned food like the consistency of original/classic Mighty Dog or Eagle Pack Holistic Canned or Wellness canned, maybe Salmon or Puppy. Hope that helps!

I use the liquid Safeguard and mix equal parts of Safeguard and goats milk with a little corn syrup, they love their dewormer. You just have to adjust the dosage and give 2x what it normally is.

I mix Safeguard with plain yogurt. My dogs are so used to eating plain yogurt anyway that they don't seem to know I put that nasty Safeguard in it. I also feed it to them when they are hungry.

Thank you everyone. I didn't have any corn syrup and mixed the Safeguard with a maple syrup water solution. My girl wasn't happy but she didn't spit it out.