Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud dog clearances

Would just like to thank the stud dog owners that go ahead and have so many clearances done on the boys. It shows you care. It makes it less of a chore for us to have to go searching all over and asking question of others. Champions or not nice pedigree, nice clearances, nice looking dogs thats what its all about. Lots of puppy to watch coming up at shows is a plus also. Thanks to all of you.

Re: Stud dog clearances

I agree. As the owner of some girls that have tested as carriers for PRA or EIC over the years, you make our decisions much easier and broaden our choices. Thanks to those who care for the breed and your fellow breeders

Breeder 30
Would just like to thank the stud dog owners that go ahead and have so many clearances done on the boys. It shows you care. It makes it less of a chore for us to have to go searching all over and asking question of others. Champions or not nice pedigree, nice clearances, nice looking dogs thats what its all about. Lots of puppy to watch coming up at shows is a plus also. Thanks to all of you.

I also appreciate it. Especially the boys that have echo dopplers done by cardiologists.

I'm not the type of breeder to tell someone a clearance I want although I've heard of some bitch owners that demand or suggest clearances. If the stud dog owner doesn't know or want the clearance done correctly, the bitch owners shouldn't have to ask or tell someone else what to do. We all make choices about our girls or boys clearances.

If a stud dog doesn't have the clearances I want, I feel the need to pass him by without a word. Who am I to tell the stud dog owner what clearances they should be doing? It's their dog, not mine but I have the right not to consider using him if the clearances aren't what I do on my bitch.

I appreciate seeing accurate information on a webpage. Either a link to OFA or with scanned clearances on the site. I've normally seen the dog alreadu, usually at the Potomac but it's nice to see the clearances on a website, OFA and in email when I make an inquiry.

It does bug me to see clearances listed that are not on the OFA page or that aren't in the stud dog packet. Accuracy is important. Changing the rules because a breeder wants to do certain clearance at an age and test that qualifies the dog for the clearance to be listed on OFA makes me feel better about who I'm working with.

I do the same clearances I want to see the stud dog have. It's not a 1 way street.

I agree and thank you stud dog owners.

Please do keep in mind that it wasn't so long ago that OFA was only listing hips and elbows therefore if a breeder did , for instance, echo/Doppler before that changed it might not be included on the OFA site.
Judy

I have dogs that got OFA heart clearances 10 years ago, so I know they have been listed for at least that long. PRA clearances were listed about the same time, but suspended briefly until Optigen published their research. The only one that may be lagging is EIC listings. OFA only accepts results from University of Minnesota at this time and many breeders are using DDC for testing.

Of course, Labradata accepts all documentation from any testing source and listing is FREE, so there is no reason for information on a stud dog to be unavailable except by the owner's choice

The first cardiac clearance for a Labrador Retriever was listed on OFA in Oct '95

Yes, elbows are not there with the older dogs, we know what that means, some don't send in eye reports and on a stud dog think they are wrong. But the ones doing and reporting everything, EIC to Optigen, all in between we thank you.

Thanks, "Just so"... I didn't look up the OFA listing so I'm glad someone did As I said... there are no excuses, just choices. A big 'Thank You' to those who choose full public disclosure.