Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Placing a dog - failed OFA

2 y/o male with poor final OFA's - will probably come back mild DJD.
He will be neutered and placed - how much would you charge?
I don't agree with giveaways, so I feel there should be something charged - but how much?
This is East coast, if that matters

Re: Placing a dog - failed OFA

If he doesn't have any symptoms, you can place him as any other adult. Caution the new owners about keeping him on supplements, weight management, and possible arthritis in the future.

Tell prospective buyers that his OFA results were not good enough to use him at stud, so he is being placed. If he is MILD you can also tell them that as long as he is kept trim and in good condition, he may or may not have problems as he ages. There is no way to accurately predict. If you neuter him first and he is well trained and "house ready" you can charge the going puppy price.

I have an HD boy. My boy's medication/supplements cost approximately $3/day.
Be very honest with the new owners. Screen carefully. Make sure they understand and are prepared to spend the money to provide needed supplements, pain killers for life if necessary, surgery if necessary.
Full puppy price is not fair, in my opinion. Half puppy price seems reasonable.

I have placed two and they were both $600. and to couples who understood what easy play meant. And right he may never show signs. Supplements for the rest of his life would be a good idea.

I'm sorry to hear about your boy. I sure hope you will find him a good home.

I'm a little curious and want to ask you since your boy failed his OFA's... how was he as a puppy? was he heavy growing up and how was his exercise when growing up? How was he fed? Did he stay on puppy food for long or did he start to eat adult food early? Did you notice anything with him when he was younger?

I hope you don't mind me asking these questions and if you do than I'm very sorry.

I have one that came back as severe dysplasia. Keep the dog. Is now 7 years old and has never shown any signs. I give glucosamine. People have commented on how great the dog's movement is. Does move great. When I had OFA's done I was expecting a good or excellent based on movement - - Go figure - -

being up front on possibilities will help you find the right forever home.
I usually will spay / neuter and charge $300. So far any lab I had to rehome has ended up with families that had previously purchase puppies from me.

To everyone:
Thanks for the advice. This is one of those heartbreaking decisions we all face from time to time in this hobby.

Curious:

There were no indications that there would be any problem. In fact, of all the obstacles we face as far as clearances go, I was least worred about OFA! There was a brief time during his puppyhood - at about 9 months, I let him get a little too much weight, but got it off quickly and he was prelimed and Penn-Hip'd a few months later and everything looked good.

As far as exercise, I have a playground for the dogs that is grassy with a very soft loamy soil - it never bakes hard in the sun, it is always spongey and soft for the dogs when they run and play, and it is about the size of a group ring - not big enough to run full out for very far! Playtime was restricted to two twenty-thirty minute periods a day.

He was never on puppy food. He's been on a good quality all life stage food since he was 4 months old. I have never feed puppy food except to moms in whelp or when first switching puppies from gruel to solid food, then on to a good quality all life stages food.

He's been on Vit C + Osteo-BiFlex since he was about 4 months old.

I'm really scratching my head over this one. There's nothing in his background, genetically speaking, that would provoke this and his hips looked good at a year.

Bummed
To everyone:
Thanks for the advice. This is one of those heartbreaking decisions we all face from time to time in this hobby.

Curious:

There were no indications that there would be any problem. In fact, of all the obstacles we face as far as clearances go, I was least worred about OFA! There was a brief time during his puppyhood - at about 9 months, I let him get a little too much weight, but got it off quickly and he was prelimed and Penn-Hip'd a few months later and everything looked good.

As far as exercise, I have a playground for the dogs that is grassy with a very soft loamy soil - it never bakes hard in the sun, it is always spongey and soft for the dogs when they run and play, and it is about the size of a group ring - not big enough to run full out for very far! Playtime was restricted to two twenty-thirty minute periods a day.

He was never on puppy food. He's been on a good quality all life stage food since he was 4 months old. I have never feed puppy food except to moms in whelp or when first switching puppies from gruel to solid food, then on to a good quality all life stages food.

He's been on Vit C + Osteo-BiFlex since he was about 4 months old.

I'm really scratching my head over this one. There's nothing in his background, genetically speaking, that would provoke this and his hips looked good at a year.

Thank you for answering me! I appreciate it!
I'm just always trying to learn on the possible causes on hip dysplasia.

Curious

Genetics!

Wait 6 months and do them again. Sometimes the positioning is poor or other things are a factor. Even Lyme disease can show as problems in the joints. Treat for Lyme and xray again in 6 months. Don't bother testing. Too many false negatives and doxy will also kill other similar diseases.

breeder
Curious

Genetics!

Yes I know it is a genetic disease but other factors can make a huge different..

Don't place this guy yet. I had a bitch go from Grade 1 to Fair with proper positioning and a couple months time. They said I should resubmit to try for a better rating, but I wasn't interested.

I have a similar situation with one of my girls; prelim'd Good, athletic, in good weight - so I was in shock when finals came back a mild - shallow acetabula. Sound background on both sides of the pedigree - no matter what we do, Mother Nature has her own ideas, I think.

Bummed
I don't agree with giveaways, so I feel there should be something charged - but how much?

Unless you're certain that his hips are bad and you're certain that the x-rays are perfect, I suggest that you have them done again and resubmit. There are many, many hips turned down at OFA who end up passing. This doesn't mean that they squeaked by with a second try but most probably that the positioning was poor when first submitted.

Breeder X
Bummed

Unless you're certain that his hips are bad and you're certain that the x-rays are perfect, I suggest that you have them done again and resubmit. There are many, many hips turned down at OFA who end up passing. This doesn't mean that they squeaked by with a second try but most probably that the positioning was poor when first submitted.

Poor positioning and/or some lines are still growing at 2 yo and changing. I'd definitely wait a bit and resubmit. I just think of how some human lines are prone to milk maid elbow in the early years and then they grow out of it.