Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Surgical implant with Dr. Hutch

Has anyone had Hutch do a surgical? Successful? Worth a long drive? How much did he charge you?

Re: Surgical implant with Dr. Hutch

Yes, and yes. First was successful, second was not. Both were chilled semen, first one was Clone and second was Chill 5. All was in place with the second. Either it was the Chill 5 (others have had misses with it), or it was my bitch. She was the same bitch both times, a year apart in breedings, and Hutch did both. Still very worth the drive to go to him, IMO.

Do you remember what he charged?

Hmmmm...somewhere between $400 and $600??? Not sure.

Love that man!! We drove up the night before, he came in on his day off to do her, just because that was when she needed doing and we were on the road by 11 am. She was up and normal 20 minutes after, no effects from anesthesia, and we had 8 lovely babies. This was a bitch with 2 prior misses. His assistant did the required AKC forms, sent them to me so I could sign and the semen owner could sign, no issues with AKC reg paperwork. They have a beautiful facility and people who care.
Even with the extra progesterone test we did, we were under 900 out the door.

Just did one today.
It was a little over $700
Had one done in the past & had 9 pups

Thank you all for your input. My vet wanted $1400 to do a surgical. So, it looks like it would be worth it for me to drive (about 8 hours), spend the night, and still make out cost-wise. And, get the best! Can you tell me exactly how it works? Come in in the morning, and leave in the afternoon? Did the $700 include anything else, like any more progesterone tests?

Hutch did a surgical for us a couple of years ago. Frozen semen - 12 puppies!!!! We drove to Ohio (10 hours) & stayed at the Days Inn. We got to the hospital at 8:15 am. We were done by 9:30 and on our way back home.

he will want your Antech progesterone results starting around day 7- he will tell you when to repeat, etc. Then he will tell you what day he wants you there- (it may actually be his secretary relaying this to you- she keeps the calendar). If you get there the night before, then have it done the morning he wants you, you can hit the road by 11-12 noon. He will do another test when you get there in the am just to be sure- he has a real lab and can run it quickly. Yes the fees included that extra test. He will have you tell the girl to draw blood as soon as you walk in to move things along.

A surgical implant is a simple procedure that most competent vets can do, nothing magical about who does it, it's the timing that is most important.

You are correct - as far as technical ability - a surgical implant is easier than a spay procedure.

So yes on that aspect most vets should be able to handle it.

Yes the timing is the most crucial part of the whole thing.

BUT

You need someone with the ability to thaw the semen and maintain the motility as well.