Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How many set of shots b4 bringing out

I have lots of socializing opportunities in the next week where I can bring 2 pups along. One has had 2 sets of shots but the other only 1 set of shots - should I wait to bring the 2nd girl out?

Re: How many set of shots b4 bringing out

The efficacy of any vaccination protocol is not reliant upon repeated administration of any serum. The purpose of a vaccination is for the body to mount its own immune response. This can be achieved with a single administration of a vaccine. The problem is knowing when the maternal antibodies are filtered out of the pup's system and that puppy is able to mount an appropriate immune response. Some vaccines overide maternal antibodies, others do not. Your best course is to seek the advice of your own veterinarian.

Breeder
I have lots of socializing opportunities in the next week where I can bring 2 pups along. One has had 2 sets of shots but the other only 1 set of shots - should I wait to bring the 2nd girl out?

what are the ages of the puppies? At what ages did they get their shots? What shots did they get?

Puppies are 9 weeks (today) and 11 1/2 weeks. They received Distemper, Parvo, Para, Adenovirus Type 2 at 7 weeks and the 11 1/2week old received a second set at 11 weeks.

I wouldn't take them out..not yet. They are young, summer has been hot. Too risky.

Breeder
Puppies are 9 weeks (today) and 11 1/2 weeks. They received Distemper, Parvo, Para, Adenovirus Type 2 at 7 weeks and the 11 1/2week old received a second set at 11 weeks.

I'd be leery to take them out. Jean Dodds has recommended shots at 10 and 14 weeks, or second best, 8, 12 & 16 weeks. Distemper and Parvo can kill. You don't know if you dogs have immunity or not, though, there are some dogs that don't ever get immunity, and only a titer can know for sure. Also, she said that dogs immune systems are weakened for 12 days after receiving a vaccine. I wouldn't risk it.

Definitely not---way too young to risk their lives. See previous post, puppies do not have full immune response till sometime after 4 months. I opt for 6 months--what have you got to lose?
They are dependent upon you to make the right decision.

I would disagree with keeping them home until 6 months. They do need to be socialized - just pick the right environment. I wait until they have 2 sets of shots and KC vaccine. About a week after that, I would bring them along to someone's home or a place where sick dogs are not eliminating all the time. I carry them over well used potty areas and maybe into class with my obed. dogs, just to meet people and go into buildings.