Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pro Plan Selects Formula/ no corn, soy, wheat

Noticed on the shelves today a new Pro Plan Selects formula with no corn, soy, wheat. Also noticed a new price. What do others think of this new formula?

Re: Pro Plan Selects Formula/ no corn, soy, wheat

It's out? I noticed the stores clearing the shelves and I've been waiting for it. I need to check it out. We buy the Salmon.

I'll bet it has a ton of rice and barley ;)

eta...Yup.

Chicken, barley, dried egg product, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), brewers dried yeast, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brown rice, oat meal, pea protein...

Not something I'd want to feed my dog.

breeder365
I'll bet it has a ton of rice and barley ;)

eta...Yup.

Chicken, barley, dried egg product, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), brewers dried yeast, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brown rice, oat meal, pea protein...

Not something I'd want to feed my dog.

Why not?

I'd love to go back to feeding Pro Plan, but my guy can't do the rice.

If you chose to use any of the new ProPlan food, be aware you will need to feed larger amounts. If you don't, your dogs will loose weight and condition. You can check both old and new bags. You need to feed more and that makes the feed much more expensive too.

Brewers rice is crap, very little nutritional value to it. The second protein here is dried egg. Is that where you'd like your carnivores getting their protein?

Breeder
If you chose to use any of the new ProPlan food, be aware you will need to feed larger amounts. If you don't, your dogs will loose weight and condition. You can check both old and new bags. You need to feed more and that makes the feed much more expensive too.
Not true, at least in the case of Selects. The foods still have over 4000 kcal/kg, so they are quite calorically dense. The old chicken and rice was 4157 kcal/kg, the new 4154 - close enough to qualify as "no change".

So what's better - brewers rice or the corn listed as second ingredient on the PP Performance formula? Certainly nothing wrong with oatmeal. The Selects formula has fruits and vegatables too. I'm gonna give it a try.

Bdr
So what's better - brewers rice or the corn listed as second ingredient on the PP Performance formula? Certainly nothing wrong with oatmeal. The Selects formula has fruits and vegatables too. I'm gonna give it a try.

Is this different than the Selects they have had for quite a while? Will it replace the other Selects, or will both types be available?

ES,

I don't think I know one single person who calculates the kcals when feeding the dogs. I think virtually all of us think in cups. We generally measure out a "cup" or so per feeding. That is what goes into the bowls.

The old chicken and rice had 449 calories per cup. The new formlua has 383 calories per cup. Anyone who keeps feeding the usual amount is cutting the dogs kibble very significantly.

I personally have two friends who did not realize what the change was. Their dogs all lost weight and condition.

They are making changes to many of their formulas across the board. Not only will the lamb/rice, chicken/rice and beef/rice have the shreds but so will their senior, weight management and large breed formula.
Purina O.N.E lamb, chicken and beef are also now shreds.
All Select formulas are also seeing a change.
Glad I switched long ago. I am not happy with all the changes Purina is putting through.

Re: Pro Plan PERFORMANCE

Are people still feeding this without any problems? Has there been any word on whether they will try to tinker with PPP formulation? After trying a lot of foods this is the only one that works for one of my boys and I'm hoping I don't have to start looking again.

So far I was told there are leaving PPP the ALS Chicken as is. Not sure about the other formulas if they will eventually change.

The new PPSelects is replacing the old PPSelects. The new formula has no corn, soy or wheat and just came out on the shelves this month. The previous poster said her dogs lost weight on the new formula because it contains fewer calories. How? The new food just came out?

I like Diamond Naturals for the corn, wheat and soy free foods.

I sure hope PP Selects doesn't change their salmon. It's the ONLY thing that keeps my boys ears free from infection.

Whatever variety it was, the dogs lost weight. Purina is messing with all their kibbles. I can't keep up anymore, and frankly I am in the process of trying to settle on a new brand. The time when ProPlan was the "breeders choice" is gone.

Breeder
ES,

I don't think I know one single person who calculates the kcals when feeding the dogs. I think virtually all of us think in cups. We generally measure out a "cup" or so per feeding. That is what goes into the bowls.

The old chicken and rice had 449 calories per cup. The new formlua has 383 calories per cup. Anyone who keeps feeding the usual amount is cutting the dogs kibble very significantly.

I personally have two friends who did not realize what the change was. Their dogs all lost weight and condition.

I think you must be referring to another food, rather than the Selects, which just came out. Maybe the Shreds? If you are looking at calories per cup, the old Selects chicken had 466, the new has 465, so no real difference there.

BUT, when looking at cost per feeding, the kcal/kg is the only number that matters - although there are probably some dog food companies who would rather you didn't know that!