Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Northern NJ swimming

I know some folks in northern NJ, the Montclair area, who are looking for a place to take their lab swimming. He is still a puppy--only 8 months old. I don't know the area but I know their must be some public areas where dogs can go swimming. Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Northern NJ swimming

lablover
I know some folks in northern NJ, the Montclair area, who are looking for a place to take their lab swimming. He is still a puppy--only 8 months old. I don't know the area but I know their must be some public areas where dogs can go swimming. Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tell them to Google the county parks in the county they live in and a couple of surrounding ones. The County Parks in N.J. usually have ponds and lakes.

Once they find something worth the ride, make sure dogs are allowed in the park and allowed to swim in the lakes in those parks.

Northern N.J. should have plenty of ponds and lakes for their pupper.

Re: Northern NJ swimming

I'm not sure what's available in the Montclair area, I'm on the other side of NJ. We go to Merrill Creek Resevior or to the Musconetcong River.

Another word of advice- unless it is a desiganated "dog training area", dogs have to be leashed in the county and state parks. We kind of get around it by putting a long line on Caleb.

Re: Northern NJ swimming-Canine Water Sports

A great resource for all "things- dogs & water". Please check out: caninewatersports.com - My Lab & I are attending "splash camp" this weekend.It is run by the founder of CWS, Deb . She is a great trainer/all around kind & knowledgeable "dogs/water" person. I'm driving 3 hrs to get there. This event is in Ct., but there are contacts on web site for things (places to swim etc) all over the Northeast.
So much fun & a safe learning experience.