Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coccicida and Giardia treatment

Can anyone give me meds & dosages for these parasites? I have a friend who is having a terrible time with her dog. She has been told that the dosage she was originally given for these was inappropriate (prescribed by vet), but I have no idea on either meds or dosage, so I'm no help.

Thanks!

Re: Coccicida and Giardia treatment

what has she used and at what dose?

No clue. This is on a Samoyed and she is a pet owner who needs some info to be armed with at the vets. I did look at Mercks, which has this...

No drugs are approved for treating giardiasis in animals. Fenbendazole (50 mg/kg/day) effectively removes Giardia cysts from the feces of dogs; no side effects are reported, and it is safe for pregnant and lactating animals. This dosage is approved for controlling and removing Toxocara canis , Trichuris vulpis... See more , and Ancylostoma caninum in dogs. Recently, a combination product of praziquantel, pyrantel pamoate, and febantel decreased cyst excretion in infected dogs. Albendazole is effective at 25 mg/kg, PO, bid for 2 days in dogs and for 5 days in cats, but should not be used in these animals because it has led to bone marrow suppression and is not approved for use in these species.

For coccidiosis - In kennel conditions when the need for prophylaxis might be predicted, amprolium is said to be effective, although it is not approved for use in dogs. In severe cases, in addition to supportive fluid therapy, sulfonamides such as sulfadimethoxine (50 mg/kg the first day and 25 mg/kg/day for 2-3 wk thereafter) can be used.

Unusual for an adult dog to have trouble with both. Has she had a fecal check to be sure or are they just shooting in the dark?

Also amprolium is very dangerous for most animals as it is a Thiamine inhibitor. Ponazuril for 3 days or Albon for 10 days will work for coccidia.

Panacur or Safe Guard for 7 days should take care of giardia. But figuring out where the giardia is coming from is just as important.

Try this site.......very good information about medications and the proper dosages.

http://beaglesunlimited.com/health/giardiasis-diagnosis-treatment-and-prevention

Were they given metro, panacur, albon?? Need to know exactly what the vet is trying to give.

Here we use Panacur/Fenbendazole for girardia. For coccidia we use albon, and low dose metro only if there is a secondary bacteria infection.

I have heard that you can up the fiber in a dog's diet to help them pass the ghiardia cysts a little more effectively.

They did run a fecal originally. They're waiting for results on the second (this is a 6 month old pup) before treatment, which is why I'm asking for info now - so she can go into the vet with a bit more knowledge.

She has no clue where it is coming from and is very concerned about that as well. As well, the pup is chewing fur of, so now they're also pondering allergy testing.

Thanks for the help and advice. If she can find out the meds she used originally, I'll pass that on.

I'd take the puppy back to the breeder and let them straighten this out. Any 6mth old puppy that has coccidia, giardia, AND is scratching... good grief!

Panacur for three days gets rid of the giardia. Ponazeril for two days will work for coccidia. The scratching could be puppy mange....maybe stress from the giardia and coccidia... can be fixed with Revolution. All of these things can be hard to document and many times vets will go ahead and treat.

Ponazuril

Thanks. Didn't have it handy to check for spelling at the time.

For giardia treatment:-
METRONIDAZOL - 400 MG.
4 caps for a medium dog (lab) twice a day, during 4 days.
Repeat after 10 days the same 4 caps, twice a day for 4 days.