Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weird nails! Help!

Have a dog whose nails are very odd. It occasionally causes him to become lame overnight and then goes just as quickly.

The nails have almost like a shell around them that makes a hollow area between the quick and the outer shell. The outter shell is brittle and I believe when it cracks it is causing pain.

Has anyone heard of this? I haven't seen this before what to do??

Re: Weird nails! Help!

SYMMETRICAL LUPOID ONYCHODYSTROPHY

Claw disorders in the dog that are restricted just to the claw are rare in clinical practice. Bacterial or fungal infections may be seen, but there is to much emphasis placed on dermatophytes, as this seems to be rare in clinical practice. Such infections will also have swelling and exudate present around the digit (paronychia). Cytology of this exudate may reveal micro-organism such as bacterial but they should be intracellular to be considered highly significant. Autoimmune diseases of the nails will usually have additional lesions on other areas of the skin.

Symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy is the most common disease of the nails seen in practice. The term symmetrical indicates 2 or more feet are involved. Oncychomadesis (sloughage of the nail) may eventually involve all 20 nails. The nails appear painful before they are lost, but afterward seem fairly well tolerated. The underlying etiology is unknown but autoimmune causes as well as infections or vaccinations have been suspected. There is no known breed or sex predisposition, but my clinical impression is that large breeds (especially German shepherds and Labrador retrievers) seem predisposed. The term lupoid is used due to microscopic changes of affected nails, although there is some debate on how significant these microscopic changes really are. Nevertheless some of the therapies used for discoid lupus patients have resulted in benefit for these patients. A combination of tetracycline and niacinamide (each at a dose of 500 mg three times a daily) along with high dose of fatty acids such as EFA caps or Derm caps (at twice the manufactures dose for treating atopy) are used. Anaesthesia followed by removal of the nail and leaving the exposed nail base will certainly reduce the pain. Many patients will respond, but owners should be advised that several months will be necessary before a response is seen. New nails usually grow in normal. As other forms of lupus require long term treatments I recommend therapy for life, which certainly necessitates an accurate diagnosis. After a good clinical response is seen, I will usually recommend decreasing the dosage to once daily. Amputation of P3 of all the nails is also described as an option, however most of these patients do respond to conservative medical care.

Article by Thomas P. Lewis II, DVM, Diplomate, ACVD, Board Certified Veterinary Dermatologist

wow sure sounds like it, thanks for the article learning new things everyday!

thats what it sounds like to me too. my first dog jake started with symptoms at around 2ish. i cant remember what we used for treatment. after about 6 or 7 years of treatment i stopped it. he still has, and always had funky nails but over the years it stopped be a problem for him.
adam

Give him some Knox Geletin for a while, and it should clear up. It will take a little time to take affect.
I saw a lot of this in my grooming days, and Cornell approves of it.

You can also use biotin 1000 msg. two times a day.
Give it some time to take effect. I can promise you, you won't be disappointed. A good friend tell me to use it and works for my dogs just fine. Hope this help you a bit.

God Bless,

Phil

I have used Biotin for coat and was told years ago that you must give a B complex with it because the body will not absorb one B vitamin alone - in humans too. You may want to check with a holistic vet.

I give a B50 complex when giving Biotin.

Good luck, hope that or the gelatin works.

I have read of this disease and of dogs having to have nails removed. Not trying to scare you but I would find a vet that has experience in this to be sure.

Praying that won't be the case with your dog.

Not only your dogs coat will improve. It will dramatically improve your dogs nails. It also works for humans as well. I use it myself. You can buy this over the counter. Walmart has the best price here in my location.

God Bless,

Phil