Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is there a color / dna test for splash genes available ?

Is there a color or dna test to see if your puppy carries the splash gene? In this case a litter of choc. & blks. which had both mismarked pups and non-mismarked. I am curious to see if the non-mismarked pup carries that splash gene in it.

Re: Is there a color / dna test for splash genes available ?

I would contact DDC, they might tell you what other Locus you need to test for that produce splash or tan points. I believe that both parents have to carry the gene in order to produce it. We produced one splash puppy years ago. It may have to do with the A locus. DDC should be able to expain it to you.

http://www.vetdnacenter.com

If your term "splash" is referring to tan-point markings, then the gene you would test for is the K locus. The dominant K gene prevents the genes at the A locus from being expressed. Tan-point is an A locus gene, but most sporting dogs carry it according to researchers. What prevents it from showing is the dominant K gene. If both parents have a recessive at the K locus, then some of the pups will not be able to prevent the a(t) from showing through. So, without any testing, you know both parents have one recessive k gene. Any of the mismarked pups have TWO recessive k genes. The solid colored pups can be tested to see which are also carriers and which have only the dominant K.

If you are planning to breed either parent in the future, it might be a good idea to test the prospective dog/bitch to see if it is a carrier of the recessive k gene. DDC does testing for the K genes.

The well known, Woodhaven articles has a good explanation and photographs of all types of mismarks. The list is Black - Chocolate and Tan / Brindling / Mosiac - Black spots / White rings / White spots / Other . It's excellent reading and photographis if you haven't seen these yet.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html#brindle