Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AKC Champion in 3 days!

Does anyone know of any dogs that have earned their AKC Champiuonship in 3 days of showing from zero points / zero mayors / zero shows?

Re: AKC Champion in 3 days!

I know one that won three 5 pt specialty majors in 9 days, but the dog already had points before the first 5 point win.

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but the name:
Ch. Carpenny Bonhomie
popped to my mind. Please don't hold me to it though if I'm wrong--because my mind is old....

Yes, James. ( Beechcroft's Study's Top Secret) He went winners dog, and BOB three times to finish in three shows.

From the AKC site:

CH Beechcroft Study's Top Secret - SR28057104
Conformation - Awards Processed Through 03-JUL-2010

CH

Number of Points 15
Number Major Wins 3
Number Major Judges 3
Total Number Judges 3

Re: From the AKC site:

As I remember, Receiver of Cranspire was close. If I remember correctly, he finished in 4 back-to-back shows in the same week with three five point majors and one reserve. One was a specialty win. Were James' wins all in the same week?

No, but they were all specialty wins under breeder judges.

Not knocking James' accomplishments, which were truly impressive. Just thinking that he didn't accomplish exactly what the OP was asking. Receiver came a little closer, as I believe he finished in four days. One judge gave him a reserve. If I remember correctly, he went BOB at Potomac. Can anyone confirm or refute?

Surry's Brick In The Wall. Mason finished during a week show in Raleigh, I think. 9/12 class. Very young and turned out to be nice dog. But not sure if he had points but think just majors.

peggy Stevens
Not knocking James' accomplishments, which were truly impressive. Just thinking that he didn't accomplish exactly what the OP was asking. Receiver came a little closer, as I believe he finished in four days. One judge gave him a reserve. If I remember correctly, he went BOB at Potomac. Can anyone confirm or refute?

I don't think the OP meant in 3 days in a row. I assume she meant in 3 shows.

Also, pretty sure that Surry's Ummagumma at Fortune finished in 5 shows on the Raleigh circuit too...won majors 4 of the 5 days. Talk about a way to get it done on any of these guys!!

breeder
peggy Stevens

I don't think the OP meant in 3 days in a row. I assume she meant in 3 shows.

She asked * in 3 days of showing * not in 3 days.

peggy Stevens

Ch. Receiver of Cranspire, took Best of Breed from the classes at the 1986 Potomac Specialty.

ANOTHER DOG BEECHCROFT BLIND JUSTICE AT LAKE PINE FINISHED IN FOUR SHOWS. FROM THE 12-18 MONTH CLASSES

BREEDER
ANOTHER DOG BEECHCROFT BLIND JUSTICE AT LAKE PINE FINISHED IN FOUR SHOWS. FROM THE 12-18 MONTH CLASSES

He was only shown at 4 shows?

yes but that blind justice dog was shown more than
four times so that email is a bit misleading.

"She asked * in 3 days of showing * not in 3 days."

I see what you are saying. I interpreted it as meaning three consecutive days. The reason I think that it would make a difference is that you could pick the judges to show to if it was over a period of time, whereas in Receiver's case, he was shown every day of a single circuit and finished in a single long weekend. Of course, he was already the top show dog in Great Britain, so he wasn't exactly an unknown dog. Nevertheless, it made people sit up and take notice at the time, just as James' performance did much more recently. I don't think Receiver was ever shown again in this country.

I like to see interesting topics about the history of the breed being discussed. A nice change from some of the longer threads we've had lately.

Our INT.AM.CH. Mergus Big Ben, a Multi Ch.Biggas Ynga son imported from Finland;

CH Mergus Big Ben Conformation - Awards Processed
CH
Number of Points-15
Number Major Wins-2
Number Major Judges-2
Total Number Judges-8

CH Visions State Of Grace - SN89683401
Number of Points 19
Number Major Wins 4
Number Major Judges 3
Total Number Judges 3

CH Tabatha Crowned Jewel At Empress - SN74952808
Conformation - Awards Processed Through 07-JUL-2010

CH
Number of Points 15
Number Major Wins 3
Number Major Judges 3
Total Number Judges 3

Congratulations Dawn and Carol.

Ch. Receiver of Cranspire did finish in one circuit, the old "Cherry Blossom Circuit." Col. Jerry Weiss wrote a memorable article about Reiver in the AKC Gazette and talks about him getting off the plane in D.C. one night, and walking into the show ring the next day and winning it all. I think it was 4 days as Peggy said, three 5-point majors.
I don't know if any dog has created that kind of buzz before or since, and his value as a stud dog is legendary.

Thank you so much for posting that wonderful picture of Rever!

Thank you all for these wonderfull posts!

Riggerman
Our INT.AM.CH. Mergus Big Ben, a Multi Ch.Biggas Ynga son imported from Finland;

CH Mergus Big Ben Conformation - Awards Processed
CH
Number of Points-15
Number Major Wins-2
Number Major Judges-2
Total Number Judges-8

This post is confusing. Looks like he got points under 8 judges?

No he was shown 8 times total to 8 judges, that is what it means, he got 3pts, 2pts, 1M-5pts and 1M-5pts

Riggerman
No he was shown 8 times total to 8 judges, that is what it means, he got 3pts, 2pts, 1M-5pts and 1M-5pts

No, the number of judges on the AKC site is the number of judges that gave points to a dog. It is not the number of times shown. One of you (the AKC or you) has your facts mixed up. Also, the 3 points you mention would be listed as a major, and it lists him as having 2 majors. Not trying to knock down your beautiful boy, but if the info on the AKC site is in error, you may want to get it corrected.

Riggerman

Wouldn't he have 3 majors then from a total of 4 judges?
The way the AKC has it, it appears that he got points from 8 judges. The AKC report shown does not reflect how many times the dog was shown, just how many poitns were won under the number of judges who awarded the points. Or am I REALLY confused?

confused, that's my understanding too, maybe someone will clarify.

What I think is interesting is that he also lived to be 15, according to the Dickendall website at least, that is extraordinary for a yellow male, too bad there are not more like him.

Thanks for the Rever picture, Margaret! That's a classic!
Rever does it for me, I personally feel he is one of the most influential stud dogs in the breed ever.
Not only did he cause a sensation in his short US show career, he stamped his get so strongly, I still see him in my lines and other breeders' lines!
There are some nice pictures of him around in the old magazines that I treasure.
Thanks to Vicki for the boxes of old LQ's, Retriever Reviews and Retriever Internationals that she gave me, with these old dogs of yesterday to see and appreciate all over again!

Robin
Rever does it for me, I personally feel he is one of the most influential stud dogs in the breed ever.

There are more Rever photos on the Dickendall web site.

Breeder X
Robin

There are more Rever photos on the Dickendall web site.

Here is the link to the photos you mentioned Breeder X.

http://www.dickendall.com/rever.html

Margaret Wilson, Thanks for posting the photo you took at the 1986 Potomac.