Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shipping Puppies

Puppy is in Michigan, potential buyer is in New York. He wants to have puppy shipped but into Westchester Cty Airport (White Plains).

Does anyone know if Delta will ship to that airport? Any other suggestions?

Puppy will be 12 weeks on Tuesday and weighs about 25lbs. Will he fit in a underseat carrier at this point? I do have FF miles and could deliver him if necessary but it looks like it takes a lot of miles.

Re: Shipping Puppies

Do not ship puppies. Ask the potential owner to flight to pick it up and go back by car. If they don't want to make the trip they shouldn't get the puppy. If what they want is a pet puppy, guide them to a local breeder.
Puppies often die if shipped in the summer or winter or any severe weather conditions.
There are pet airlines that offer pet transportation in the cabin.

In this heat?!? What are you thinking??? No airline will ship a dog, let alone a puppy, in the summer. If the buyer doesn't care enough about the dog to come and get it, I would think twice about that home.

He would not fit in an underseat hard plastic carrier. He MIGHT fit in a Sturdi Bag or even a Sherpa, but you would need to check his height, length, and what the airline wants, and choose your seat accordingly. Business class has more room. Flying with him would give you a chance to SEE his future home, which is a plus, in spite of the negative as to whether they would come for him or not. Just in case, book him a ride back with you, planning on canceling his reservation if all works out.

One puzzlement: There are a lot of good NY area breeders, so if this is a pet home, I would be concerned, unless they want a particular pedigree for show or performance.

And no, don't fly him into NY under the plane in the heat we have been having. They probably won't take him anyhow.

Under sit crates are for cats or under 10 pounds puppies. This is a 3 months old puppy?

There are big Cavaliers showing after traveling cross country under the airplane seat. Probably the Cavaliers are taller with more leg, less compact that the puppy, until the next growth spurt. Cavaliers grow up to be the size of a Lab pup, sort of. As I said, the OP needs to measure height and length, as puppies vary quite a bit if one changes lines and venues. Sturdi Bags have been used by some of those with the big Cavaliers showing bi-coastally. Might work for a small Lab pup--fast, before that next growth spurt.

Michigan to New York isn't that far - a day's drive. Tell them to drive to pick up the puppy!

I picked up an 8 week old lab puppy, it weighed about 15 pounds, and barely fit under the seat in a soft carrier. Thank goodness the middle seat was empty so I was able to put the carrier on the seat. I wouldn't ship a puppy this time of year. Used to fly into White Plains all the time on business - tiny airport, there seemed to be delays/problems all the time there!

Ships all year round. They have upgraded the way they ship puppies. The animals are shipped inside and it is air conditioned. I know this because I was going to ship a dog last month when it was starting to get hot and I asked them. The flight was booked, but plans changed and I did not send the dog. Call the pet shipping number look it up on line and ask them about there service.

I do not ship pet puppies. The new owners must drive to my house to pick up their puppy. When you ship you can't get a good enough feel for how the pup will fit into a family.

I called Delta the other day and their system for Pets First has been upgraded too at the majority of Major Airports they use.

They now transport the animal in an air conditioned vehicle to the air conditioned Cargo hold of the plane as well as take it off at the destination in an air conditioned vehicle. The flying temp min. and max are no longer reuired on the Health Certificate for the animal. You must check with the Major Airports that are participating in the program with Delta first.

I would not ship a pup anywhere right now. The heat may break some soon. And as far as, air conditioning just heard this morning where a flight had to go back to air port because the air went out in the cabin and passengers were getting sick from the heat. So NO not in this heat right now. And I do ship. And I agree let them drive. And there are alot of N.Y. breeders !

I used to ship puppies but since 9-11 will not fly dogs anymore but that is just me. At any time a flight can be delayed on the runway for sometimes hours. Delta Dash used to be great shipping dogs and puppies but would likely have heat restrictions right now. I used Frontier and they were wonderful too. That was a long time ago though and the best thing is to call the airline's cargo offices and see what their policies are now. Once they get older than 8 weeks they don't fit in the underseat carriers anymore. At 12 weeks in this heat I would ask them to drive out for the puppy and take it back in their car. It shouldn't be a hardship for them if they want the puppy.

Continental and Alaska are good options also. They ship year round. You will be fine getting on the first flight out. Never had a problem with heat as its all air conditioned.
If the people drove in the heat and their air conditioner went out in the car, it would be worse off than a quick air conditioned flight.

rld
Puppy is in Michigan, potential buyer is in New York. He wants to have puppy shipped but into Westchester Cty Airport (White Plains).

Does anyone know if Delta will ship to that airport? Any other suggestions?

Puppy will be 12 weeks on Tuesday and weighs about 25lbs. Will he fit in a underseat carrier at this point? I do have FF miles and could deliver him if necessary but it looks like it takes a lot of miles.

12 week puppy wont fit under the seat. That is also a small airport. I guess they want the puppy almost dropped in their lap. Why not refer them to someone in their neck of the woods?

Regardless, I wouldn't ship a puppy either, never have, never will especially in this heat.

Alot of breeders state on their websites that they ship coast to coast. Is that something to be proud of or their way of getting more business?

I personally don't believe in shipping puppies. I agree, let the buyer drive it in this heat.

You do what you want and live with the consequences. Poor puppy if it does fly this summer.

I once wanted to purchase a pup from what I thought was a very nice breeding on the West Coast ( I am on the East Coast ). Spoke to the breeders and they seemed like very nice people and good breeders. At the time I wanted to buy, the East Coast was experiencing a tremendous heat wave. Not as long as it has been now ( the East Coast is about to go on record for the hottest July since they have been keeping records ), but just as hot. I expressed my concerns to the breeders. I told them as much as I wanted the puppy, if the dog would be in any type of danger at all from the shipping, I would prefer to pass. Strangely enough they were still willing, but their Vet put the kibosh on the sale telling them it was too hot for shipping any dog at that time.

My point being, I am sure you want your puppy going to a good home. Have the prospective buyers expressed any concern to you at all, about shipping the puppy to them in this excessive heat? If not, and they are in the thick of this East Coast weather, what do you think this says about them? I think that is something you may want to consider.

although Continental does ship year round. they no longer go out of every airport, you have to check.
Jacksonville FL is an international airport but the planes CA is using are not large enough to accommodate the animals.

I ship pups but only from Sept through May. I do agree if he wants to purchase your pup let him drive over.

I had two puppies shipped from Michigan to Stewart International Airport in Newburgh N.Y. Its about an hour from White Plains airport. It took approximately 4 hours from Michigan. Pups were fine. I think it was Delta, VIP. You can call Stewart. They were very helpful. I was nervous about having a pup shipped.

How the heck can you trust an airline with the safety of a pup or adult dog for that matter, especially, as mentioned, if the ac goes out.

who is going down to the cargo to check on the animals and bring them up to the cabin if need be?

No one and most likely against the rules.

I will never ship a pup. If the people can't fly in and drive home (or carry the pup under seat - and I believe a lot of airlines go by weight now - how many 8-9 week old Lab pups meet the weight limit - not many)than pass on this family and help them find a pup in driving distance from them.

As mentioned there are plenty of pups in the NJ, NY, CN, etc. area.

I remember reading years ago of a Ch. stud dog that died on a flight because there was a problem with oxygen in the cargo section.

No thank you. I will never ship a dog/pup.

Please follow the advice given here and either have these people drive the pup home or pass on this family.

Certainly I am concerned about the well being of the puppy which is why I asked the question. Thanks to those that had meaningful comments especially about the White Plains airport. As always there are those that will ship and those that don't. I am grateful to a have puppy from someone who would. I've not had to make the decision before but this was a referral from a business associate in that part of the country and I want to be respectful of that relationship as well. I can certainly appreciate the idea that there are lots of breeders in the NY area. There are other issues with this potential placement and if I can't get comfortable with all of the issues, I will certainly send a shout out to those of you in that area. You would be better able to assess the gentlen's suitabilty than I at this point.

As an FYI, I did call Delta Dash this morning, they do fly into White plains from Detroit and the temprature restrictions are 85 degrees for breeds other that "Snub nosed". I don't follow the weather in other parts of the country on a daily basis but in Detroit, it could be iffy on any given day right now.

Years ago I think United used to have an embargo during the summer months. Now that was when they charged $50 for a dog as excess baggage so it's been a while. I have flown several puppies under the seat in carriers and they had to be under 20lb and be able to stand and turn around in the small, soft carrier. That is 8 weeks on the button for most Labs. When I shipped them cargo I would always give the guys taking the puppy to the flight a $50. bill to make sure they took extra good care of the puppy. They bent over backwards to be careful. The other thing I did when I flew dogs is I would only do it on non-stop direct flights. Even though I was going to PA I flew the dogs into Balitmore (BWI). I flew a dog to Dullus one time and it was not a good experience. Baltimore was great as was Denver. The biggest concern is making sure they pressurize the cargo hold. The Dash, and other airlines services that are counter to counter cargo for animals usually take extra care to make sure the pet is safe. My concern now is the security stuff that can delay the flights. You can fly a puppy on a red eye flight and avoid the hot temps on the tarmac.

hi,
Just interested,were you able to send the puppy ? What airline worked best ? How much did it cost?