Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC Collapse. . . color,sex related?

Just found out, after testing, that my bitch is EIC affected. She has never collapsed. I got a call from the owner of her litter sister that about an hour into a hike on a very hot, humid day, this girl collapsed. She is black. I assume she is EIC affected as well.

I'm curious. . . those of you who have affected dogs who HAVE collapsed. . . what color are they?

Did they collapse on an especially hot day?

Are they males or females?

Just doing a little poll for myself.

Re: EIC Collapse. . . color,sex related?

Since University of Minnesota is collecting that information on the submittal forms, you might call and ask if they have tabulated the results by gender or color. If they haven't, they probably can pretty easily if requested

Dont call if you didnt get the test done by U of Minn, the 'test police' might lynch you

My girl who collapsed was black, but black dogs do
tend to get over heated faster due to their color.

Interesting question.

god forbid
Dont call if you didnt get the test done by U of Minn, the 'test police' might lynch you

My girl who collapsed was black, but black dogs do
tend to get over heated faster due to their color.

Interesting question.

I feel the same. The only thing to do with black or a dark chocolate would be the darker colors attracting sunlight and heat faster. Our clothing in the summer heat is normally not black. I know I wear alot of white and quite light colors except for jeans or jean shorts.

Also, if a dog is in full coat in the summer with lots of undercoat, I feel they can overheat faster.

I agree about the *testing police* . Katie Minor Registered Nurse wouldn't care where we test but a *breeder* does?

I never heard of the kennel name and don't care to ever know who it is. They kick a breeder while down after her girl was down also. That is nasty, poor behavior and lack of proper sportsmanship.

Here are Katie Minor RN 's posts on another board if anyone is interested. I found her posts interesting and informative although I still feel we're missing something in the testing. She's a real nice gal unlike the testing police. She is not afraid of discussing breeder concerns about the U of Minn testing and doesn't get snippy about it.

Hats off to Katie Minor RN.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/search.php?searchid=1520972

I have 2 girls who are rated EIC affected. One is yellow, and the other one is black. Both of the girls have never had an episode.

I have talked with someone from Univeristy of MN, and they said it is possible that the ones who are not having episodes, may have a protective gene.

The good news is that both girls are CNM clear.

Is is possible that the black girl may have had a heat stroke?

breeder
I have 2 girls who are rated EIC affected. One is yellow, and the other one is black. Both of the girls have never had an episode.

I have talked with someone from Univeristy of MN, and they said it is possible that the ones who are not having episodes, may have a protective gene.

The good news is that both girls are CNM clear.

Is is possible that the black girl may have had a heat stroke?

I am so glad you brought this up. Many breeders feel there are possible missing parts to the original EIC test. A 'protective gene' sure would be 1 or more of things missing in this basic test many breeders have jumped on the bandwagon testing and breeding according to it. I have tested also so I'm not saying there is no validity. I do believe something parts of the test are missing, alot of us do and many don't. This protective gene that I never heard of before might just be one of them. So before you put all of your chips on this test, speak to the University of Minnesota about this protective gene and any others that might exist. I have a feeling there may be a few which would account for things I have heard.

?Protective gene?
So before you put all of your chips on this test, speak to the University of Minnesota about this protective gene and any others that might exist. I have a feeling there may be a few which would account for things I have heard.

I guess you haven't been paying any attention to the vast majority of the discussions that have gone on here and elsewhere. Yes, there are dogs that have tested with 2 copies of the gene that haven't collapsed - no one knows why yet - but that does NOT negate the fact that testing your dogs and not producing dogs with 2 copies of the gene will guarantee you won't have an EIC collapsing dog. It might collapse for another reason, but not because of EIC.

THAT'S why we test and breed accordingly!

brdr is exactly right. Yes, some dogs seem to be protected from collapsing despite being E/E (homozygous for the dynamin I mutation. The EIC test would not be definitive if we were trying to produce collapsing dogs, as other genes may be involved. BUT it IS definitive if you are trying to ensure that no puppy you produce will ever collapse from EIC. It is simple. Always have at least one parent that has tested EIC clear.

Are you sure this isn't heatstroke? The temperatures around most of the country have been unbearable this time of year and I'm literally seeing heatstroke dogs on almost a daily basis.

EIC collapse has a very characteristic pattern to it, and even if that pup tests positive doesn't mean that they collapsed from EIC! Remember that even with a positive genetic test result, EIC is a "diagnosis of exclusion"- that's why UMN wants a veterinarian to submit the samples.

Natalie