Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weird Dog????

I have a 1 year old that was always calm and not afraid of anything. Now she all of a sudden is scared of everything. The tail goes between the legs and the rear legs start shaking.

I have been exposing her over and over to things and her behaviour does not seem to be improving at all.

I've even sent her to doggie day care where she plays with other dogs and people all day and I watch from home on the computer.

Any ideas how to get her over this?

Re: Weird Dog????

Behavior or personality changes can be a sign. Although she is awful young for a thyroid issue but you may want to check it out anyway as long as you know something didn't happen to her to develope her fear.

Sounds like she's coming into season to me

They get wacky sometimes for a few months the first time

I agree. Sounds like she is coming in heat.

Good point. I didn't think of heat because I've never had a girl fearful on first heat. A bit clingy or off but never tail tucking fearful.

Hopefully thats all it is.

Adolescent Fear Period was Re: Weird Dog????

I would expect this to be "Teenage Flakiness" or the adolescent fear period, complicated by sexual maturation (especially with impending heat, as some others have also suggested). I had one dog, very sound, who went to an obedience seminar, did well, and at about 15 months, just a few days later, started barking crazily at new things like Mickey Mouse mylar balloons, men in reflective sunglasses, new holiday statues on the neighbor's lawns (apparently spooked by their newness, along with their alien lifelessness and ghostliness). She outgrew it, with me going through the world chuckling at her, telling her she was silly, then telling her to "smell it" to quietly get acquainted. She fulfilled her genetic destiny of an outgoing, sound as a rock Labrador once she got through that phase. It took a few weeks, but we got through it, during which time I backed off on introducing too many weird things, although I couldn't help the time of the year and the neighborhood decorations. Some holistic folks also blame the rabies vaccine; coupling the two can make life wild for her!

Agree it could be hormones brewing, but I've found some have fear stages about this time too, @ 12-14 mos. Hopefully that's all it is and if so, it'll pass quickly enough.

Adolescent Fear Period was Re: Weird Dog????

Ha, we must have been typing at the same time. Agree totally...

links, was Adolescent Fear Period was Re: Weird Dog????

There are various links on the adolescent fear period ("Oh my gosh, it's a FIre Hydrant!!!! Bark!!!)
Here is one:
http://dogworksagility.com/images/joyceCritical_Periods_of_Dev..pdf

Add coming into season, and it takes patience and good humor to get through this. DON"T force the dog, this link suggests. Food also helps with a Labrador, baiting through the scary situation. Hormones and growth periods are things we, and they, really can't help. It is no coincidence that many rescues come in during the first adolescent one, often at about 7 months, and then again when in the teens, monthwise.

This too shall pass!

Phew! Glad to hear that you think so, too, Windycanyon, given the other replies above! Note: many Labs mature later and haven't read the books about when this fear period should be; mine waited to surprise us both! I rescued her in her first adolescent fear period, around 6 months of age, and that was a shorter duration, since she didn't come into season until later.

I agree with all of the hormonal stuff and a fear period being strong possibilities. Just also want to mention the possibility of a sore lower back....I had a young girl go through that at about that age...I assumed it was hormones or age...turned out to be a lower spine injury....just a thought...she could have been "crashed into" at doggie daycare...or crashed into a tree chasing a ball or squirrel.....just keep it in mind as a possibility.

Had a fearful dog that I kept socializing without success, then someone told me to show her I'd protect her rather than expose her. So we stood between her and new dogs, trains, snowmobiles, people, etc. until she was ready to walk around us and approach of own volition-this standing between her and fearful object showed her "we'll take care of it, we're in charge: and it gave her confidence and trust.