Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
strange puppy behavior

Have a litter of puppies-took them for their first shots, fed them while at the vet-all went fine.
Now, the most outgoing puppy is uncertain..
He sticks to the perimeter of the pen even when extended family come in. He will warm up and be fine but this is new and upsetting-he was so confident and this breaks my heart. Had a family ready for him but I am afraid to send him out yet, if at all.
Reading about fear periods on the previous thread (which I know of) does anyone thin he will come out of this-suggestions? Anything I should be doing special with him?
thanks

Re: strange puppy behavior

Yes, I've also had a couple pups that became wall flowers right at that 7.5 wk point. One was my keeper 3.5 yrs ago, and she's nothing of a wall flower now! Again had one ~7 mos ago who was gorgeous, though a bit mellow for my tastes all along. I reluctantly placed her. Guess what... she was quite full of herself, oozing w/ confidence when I saw her at 4 mos, and I had to recommend a prong collar to the owners because she was so tuned into the other dogs wanting to play that she was straining her owner's shoulders! I'd not worry. If you want to keep him an extra couple days, it's not a bad idea but I bet he'll pop out of it quickly.

Windycanyon
Yes, I've also had a couple pups that became wall flowers right at that 7.5 wk point. One was my keeper 3.5 yrs ago, and she's nothing of a wall flower now! Again had one ~7 mos ago who was gorgeous, though a bit mellow for my tastes all along. I reluctantly placed her. Guess what... she was quite full of herself, oozing w/ confidence when I saw her at 4 mos, and I had to recommend a prong collar to the owners because she was so tuned into the other dogs wanting to play that she was straining her owner's shoulders! I'd not worry. If you want to keep him an extra couple days, it's not a bad idea but I bet he'll pop out of it quickly.

Windy, it's one of the few times I agree with you.

If I ever see shy behavior in a pup, I give that one to my kids to take all over in the house and outside. Extra holding and socializing fixes the problem within a few days. If you don't have children, do it yourself, take that one when you water your plants, do your wash, work in the kitchen, even let them listen in on phone converstations to new voices, put that one in a crate beside your bed at night, let them run in the bathroom while you shower, etc. They do pop out of it.

That is what I was hoping to hear-I have been doing that, taking him everywhere. I will continue to do so.
Thanks to all who replied.