Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best prices for adequan?

I have a script from my vet - looking for the best price for adequan or other suggestions. My almost 12 year old girl is limping in the front right. She passed elbows at 2. Hate to start her on Rimadyl yet.

Re: Best prices for adequan?

I think Drs. Foster and Smith has it for around $52.00 a vial (or something close to that). That is the best price I've seen. It has been a miracle drug for my girl that has osteoarthritis.

Google adequan, and tons of places that sell it will come up. Check prices, but don't forget the total with shipping.

I get mine from Farmvet, if you get the horse Adeqaun just remember there is no preservative in it so use really clean technique to draw it up, though if you are like I did I was giving it to my oldest girl every 4 days so it was used up pretty quickly. The are very fast with shipping and it was around $44 a vial.

My old girl was on Adequan for several years and I think it did help her. She also got CosequinDS twice a day and fish oil. Rimadyl made her really sick, we almost lost her and it damaged her liver so watch her very close if you end up using it. I like Tramadol better, just for the really ouchy days. Might be worth an orthopedic consult if you haven't done that already.

Anyone using Trixsyn?

Yes, Trixsyn is great for people who don't like to or know how to give injections. I don't feel it is as good as Adequan but it is second best. We buy ours from our local vet for $42.00 a vile and buy seven viles at a time, then split it with a friend.

Thank you, yes, I would not be comfortable giving the injection.

I think most of us are not very comfortable about sticking needles into our dogs, but honestly it's not so difficult. I found the video instructions on this site very helpful: http://pupvideotraining.com/news/Injection_Techniques/index.html

Adequan ideally should be an IM injection, but it can also be given SQ (just under the skin) if necessary. My old girl didn't like it but she never yiked in pain or anything like that when I injected the thigh muscle. If you have a good vet, they will walk you through the first time.