Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rehoming

I only have 6 dogs. One girl does not get along with another and it's getting worse, so I spayed her and am looking for a new home. She is 5 years old and has done obedience/rally and a touch of agility - a really nice gal when not with the other gal. I am having a bear of a time finding a new home for her. People inquiring with tons of cats (which she chases), etc. Since I am a very small kennel, I don't do much advertising.

How do the rest of you find suitable homes when necessary for older dogs?

Re: rehoming

Previous puppy owners

You may consider talking to your Vet. There may be a client in the practice who has recently lost a dog (PTS)that wants a young to middle aged adult that's all trained. It happens where I work all the time. My boss has a rule though, we can help clients place dogs and cats that are free to a good home only. She doesn't allow us to help clients sell pets. We have been very successful with lining up some great forever homes between clients that need to place a pet and clients looking to adopt a pet. I know that alot of breeders on this forum do not believe in placing their older dogs at no charge, but if someone wonderful came along why not think about it? Just check with the Vet and staff to be sure the adoptee has been an out standing pet owner.....Just a thought.

In 30 years I have placed several older dogs into forever loving homes. I spay and neuter first and I place them at no charge! I would not even ask for any money. The owners were carefully selected they show up so excited with new leads and tons of toys.
I always contact their Vet, they give me consent to do that. I have never one time had one come back and I love the pictures and letters from them. They are doing me such a great service that at times I feel like I should pay them! I do not breed to make a dime or even break even. So for me to find a wonderful home for a pet is the best payment to me, I want them to use their money to take care of the dog.
Would they pay me something, sure, I would give it back. I have a breeder friend that tries to get $1,000 for a spayed 6 year old dog. She just sits on 5 or 6 adults and spends money to care for them. She has been trying to place some of them for a few years.
So they just stay in crates! Place them for free, the
Vets are a great resource, friends and past puppy owners. Think of it this way, would you sell your 8 year old kid? No, you would want them to have a great home if you could not take care of him. Make choices for the love of the dog. I know that I will get a ton of negative replies, like if they don't have an investment in the dog then they will feel like it does not matter and they can kick it to the curb! Folks that is just not the reality, I have seen a number of high priced dogs in the shelters. Good luck OP finding her a forever loving home!

That is a great idea!
In 30 years I have placed several older dogs into forever loving homes. I spay and neuter first and I place them at no charge! I would not even ask for any money. The owners were carefully selected they show up so excited with new leads and tons of toys.
I always contact their Vet, they give me consent to do that. I have never one time had one come back and I love the pictures and letters from them. They are doing me such a great service that at times I feel like I should pay them! I do not breed to make a dime or even break even. So for me to find a wonderful home for a pet is the best payment to me, I want them to use their money to take care of the dog.
Would they pay me something, sure, I would give it back. I have a breeder friend that tries to get $1,000 for a spayed 6 year old dog. She just sits on 5 or 6 adults and spends money to care for them. She has been trying to place some of them for a few years.
So they just stay in crates! Place them for free, the
Vets are a great resource, friends and past puppy owners. Think of it this way, would you sell your 8 year old kid? No, you would want them to have a great home if you could not take care of him. Make choices for the love of the dog. I know that I will get a ton of negative replies, like if they don't have an investment in the dog then they will feel like it does not matter and they can kick it to the curb! Folks that is just not the reality, I have seen a number of high priced dogs in the shelters. Good luck OP finding her a forever loving home!

I know of a couple of breeders, 1 in particular that have the new forever family make a donation to a Labrador Rescue. Some ask for the cost of the spay to be paid but no other money is exchanged. That seems to work well. Vets and prior puppy buyers are a great resource for their rehoming.

I just rehomed a 6.5 yo who had been well trained on the basics and was a loyal companion to a gal who was dx'd w/ dementia/alzheimer's. The owner recently needed to be in full time care/nursing home, and her husband agreed placement was the best option for the lab.

I sent out an email to fellow club members, pup owners and friends and had several serious inquiries FAST. I asked NOTHING for this dog, nor did the gal's husband want a thing, and in fact donated her crate, pillows, leashes, ramp, etc (she was spoiled, lol!). I figure if someone asked, I'd request a donation to rescue but the couple who won my vote was a newly married couple, daughter/sil to another FANTASTIC owner.

In your case, with her performance background, you may also want to contact 4H leaders in your area to see if a youngster wouldn't love to take her in. Good luck. Anne

You are crazy not to ask for any money for an older dog. IMO if people don't have to lay out some money for a dog they find it easier to give it up later. I have placed several older dogs in companion homes and have gotten a decent amount of money for them. The buyer is getting a well trained healthy dog and some are even pointed. In certain cases these adults are worth more than buying a puppy. My older dogs have all of their clearances done and I spay and neuter them and get them current on all of their vaccines. How can you say an older dog is not worth charging for.

I just wait for the right people to come along. On my website I state that I sometimes have older dogs available and to contact me. I get inquires asking for adults all the time. When I have a litter of puppies, I usually network and from word of mouth I find someone looking for an older dog. Good luck.