Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vaccine Question, etc. for Strangles Pup

What vaccine protocol is recommended for puppies recovering from strangles? Say pup is still on 5mg. Pred. every other day and vet wants to vaccinate before meds are totally finished? Does this sound nuts to anyone?? I was under the impression you should wait until meds are completely finished and about 10 days -3 weeks post meds. Is that too long? is there a specific vaccine maker that is better and safer to use on a strangles pup? Any help is appreciated. Also same vet wants to give pup Interceptor today! I told owner ,"No"! This pup is in a pretty safe environment. No contact with unvaccinated dogs and no adjoining houses nearby.

Re: Vaccine Question, etc. for Strangles Pup

Email Jean Dodds, she was so nice to me a few weeks ago! She indicated about a week for me, when I told her the meds were up at 8 weeks... she said vaccinate at 9 weeks.

I am not an expert but my vet did not want to vaccinate my pup on prednisone, and I canceled my appt for the other pups in the litter as Jean Dodds told me NOT to vaccinate them while this lil guy was immunosuppressed. They are in an area of my house that I have quarantined my older dogs away until they get their shots

Re: Vaccine Question, etc. for Strangles Pup

I chose to vaccination with distemper and parvo only and I did it about a month past the completion of all medications.

Strangles is an immune issue and I decided not to play around with it. The puppies will be vaccinated one more time four weeks later with distemper/parvo and they won't get rabies until they need it (not law in our province).

I believe a cocktail of drugs is just asking for trouble.