Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Securing crates

I will be renting a mini van to travel to the national. I will have two crates plus everthing else I will need for a long road trip. My question is what is the best way to secure the crates in the van? I would like to have them behind the front seats if possible. Thanks

Re: Securing crates

Bungee cords

Bungee cords are removable duct tape. They can do anything!

I bought a package of new ones with a variety of lengths at WalMart a year ago just for a trip. They were pretty inexpensive as I recall. They SMELLED terrible (rubber smell) until they aired out for a few days. It made the first part of the trip a little unpleasant

If you are getting new ones for your trip, get them ahead of time and hang them outside to get that rubber odor out before spending time with them in a closed vcehicle.

I make sure when I pack that the crates are solidly lining a wall of the van and are accessible to let the dogs out and replenish water, etc. Since you are taking a lot of stuff, you might want to consider packing totes or other equipment like beds and towels against them so that nothing can move. Put them side by side so they support each other. However, I would not put a suitcase next to a puppy crate...!

exhibitor
Bungee cords

This is the way to go.

Thanks - Bungees it is.........
I thought it would be bungee cords but not sure how and where I would attach them to the van. My thought is to have the crates behind the front seats facing the sliding doors. That way we have access to them without having to worry about all the other stuff we are hauling. I will put that stuff in the back and
get at it from the rear door.

Go to Lowes and get the heavy duty flat black rubber bungees. Connect them to the seat belt anchors. Don't use the cheap ones if you want to keep your eyes. And your dogs' eyes.

Perfect, Thanks!!