Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ivomec

I have been on a 1/10cc for three months and 1 full cc every fourth month but this month my schedule was mixed and I gave my dog 1-full cc on the third month instead of the fourth....how concerned should I be? please help

Re: ivomec

Not concerned at all. She will be fine.

I agree not.

I have always given my dogs 1/10 of a CC of 1% injectable Merial or Generic Ivomec per 10 pounds of body weight. The reference above of 1/10 for 3 months and then 1 CC on the 4th month, Is this a different protocol for Ivomec?

No. I have never heard of this method and it sounds a bit crazy.
My vets have always told me what STH describes.
1/10th cc per 10 lbs once a month, every month.

STH
I have always given my dogs 1/10 of a CC of 1% injectable Merial or Generic Ivomec per 10 pounds of body weight. The reference above of 1/10 for 3 months and then 1 CC on the 4th month, Is this a different protocol for Ivomec?

Our vet has told us to increase the dosage because they are seeing more cases of heartworm.
We give 3/10ths of a cc to 1/2 cc per month PER ADULT DOG on the food.
This is given in heavy overdoses to treat mange. My guess is she is fine.

No, not 1/10 cc per 10 lbs, it is suppose to be per DOG!

Wrong. You are grossly underdosing if you are giving 1/10 cc per dog!!
A 90 lb dog gets 0.9 cc, a 60 lb dog gets 0.6 cc, a 100 lb dog gets ONE cc, etc.....
That's straight, not diluted.
I don't know why it is so hard for people to get it right when it comes to dosages.
It is not difficult to ask your vet, write it down and remember it.

breedertoo
No, not 1/10 cc per 10 lbs, it is suppose to be per DOG!

Wow - it's a good thing there is such a wide margin of safety for ivermectin in most dogs!!

If you are using the 1% injection, the precise dose required for heartworm prevention is so small as to be practically impossible to measure without dilution.

The dosage of ivermectin in canine products like Heargard is measured in micrograms (I'll use mcg since µg doesn't always display properly). There are 1,000 micrograms in a milligram (mg). Per Merial, each ml of 1% Ivomec contains 10 mg of ivermectin. Multiply by 1,000 to get mcg, and you have 10,000 mcg per ml. The Heartgard for large (51-100 pound) dogs contains 272 mcg per dose. So, for prevention of heartworm disease, one ml of Ivomec could cover nearly 37 large dogs. With the large margin of safety, my own vet is fine with giving 1/10 ml per dog, even though it is many times higher than necessary.

Of course, if you are looking to treat intestinal worms or mange, that's a whole different ball game. I'm assuming the OP is using the higher dose a few times a year for this purpose.

No you are wrong! At 1% injectable that is the dose. get the facts before you get on your high horse.

Are you talking to Math or me??
Cause if my dose is wrong than about 5 different vets I've spoken to over the years are wrong too!! Which I doubt.

breedertoo
No you are wrong! At 1% injectable that is the dose. get the facts before you get on your high horse.

I am speaking to you brdr, Math is right.

I think I'll take the advice of my vets over an annon poster on a public forum :)

breedertoo
I am speaking to you brdr, Math is right.

You must be confusing diluted versus undiluted ivermectin.
Here is the chart.

Here is the Formula- they base it on 2.73 which means that the Heartgard 51-100 lb dose is based on the 100 lb dog.
THE FORMULA
Ivomec Ivermectin has 10 mg or 10000 ug per cc. 6 ug per kg is 2.73 ug per pound. So multiply the dog's weight in pounds by 2.73 to get the micrograms needed, and divide that by 10000 for the number of cc's to give the dog.
So for a 100 lb dog.
100 x 2.73 = 273
273 divided by 10000 =.0273 ml or cc
thus your Hundred lb dog needs just about 1 quarter of a cc of ivermectin 1% solution per month.
I made a table to make it easy or you can just use the formula. I rounded the numbers.
10 lbs = .0027 cc or ml (call it .003)
20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml
50 lbs = .013 cc or ml
60 lbs = .016 cc or ml
70 lbs = .020 cc or ml
80 lbs = .022 cc or ml
90 lbs = .025 cc or ml
100 lbs = .027 cc or ml

Thanks to Breedertoo and MATH for putting posting the calculations correctly.

This is exactly to dosage calculation given to me by my vet for heartworm prevention.

Many people are lucky that Ivermectin is so forgiving. It is used in higher doses for other conditions, but for heartworm prevention this is correct.

I give my dogs .10 ml every month. Even that is about 3 times the required amount.

Mike

FYI: 'one quarter of a cc' is 0.25cc, not 0.025. You should use an insulin syringe if you want to measure volumes this low.

breedertoo
You must be confusing diluted versus undiluted ivermectin.
Here is the chart.

Here is the Formula- they base it on 2.73 which means that the Heartgard 51-100 lb dose is based on the 100 lb dog.
THE FORMULA
Ivomec Ivermectin has 10 mg or 10000 ug per cc. 6 ug per kg is 2.73 ug per pound. So multiply the dog's weight in pounds by 2.73 to get the micrograms needed, and divide that by 10000 for the number of cc's to give the dog.
So for a 100 lb dog.
100 x 2.73 = 273
273 divided by 10000 =.0273 ml or cc
thus your Hundred lb dog needs just about 1 quarter of a cc of ivermectin 1% solution per month.
I made a table to make it easy or you can just use the formula. I rounded the numbers.
10 lbs = .0027 cc or ml (call it .003)
20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml
50 lbs = .013 cc or ml
60 lbs = .016 cc or ml
70 lbs = .020 cc or ml
80 lbs = .022 cc or ml
90 lbs = .025 cc or ml
100 lbs = .027 cc or ml

My vet pulled out his calculator and instructed me to mix 1/2 ml of ivomec for cattle with 100 ml of propylene glycol. This resultant mixture was to be given once monthly at a dose of 1 ml for every 20 pound of the dogs weight. He calculated that was the dose equivalent to Heartguard.

Since my vet had 2 degrees, one in veterinary medicine and one in engineering, I think he was pretty darn good with the math.

For no good reason that I can tell you, I mix 1 ml to 100 ml. So I am giving more than they need, but the stuff is so darn cheap I never use an entire bottle of ivomec before the expiration date.

The diluted Ivomec is a completely different strength. I believe the others are talking about straight 1% Ivomec which is what is in the bottle to use for deworming cattle. I am a veterinarian. I use .1ml per month for my older dogs. However, I do dilute Ivomec for owners of smaller dogs. Because it is weaker, it does require more solution orally. All I have to say is that as long as you are remembering to give your dosages each month, you dogs will probably not wind up with heartworms. Now let's all just try do get along.

This site should help:
http://www.dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html

What people is confused about is the dosage for heartworms. It isn't the same dose for heartworms than for mange or intestinal parasites. No, you will not kill your dog by giving the 1/10cc /Lb once a month, but you'll have the same results if you use the lower dose as in heartguard (which I don't remember how much is it)

I don't follow it but I understand some breeders raise the dose either every 3, 4 or 6 months for 1 month for full worming. That is not done for heartworm prevention. Some breeders follow that all the time. Again, I don't but it isn't done for heartworm prevention! Those that follow that, do it for worming.

As I said, *I* don't follow that formula and I use the standard formula my mentor and my vet both gave me that are exactly the same. I will never give any formula to anyone else as I am not a vet. If I'm asked, I tell the breeder asking to please speak to their vet. I don't want to be blamed for a misunderstanding and someone else's dog dying.

At 0.1cc you are giving 1000ug of Ivermectin.

Heartguard 51-100lbs is 272ug of Ivermectin, because I can't get a syringe that measures less than 0.1cc, I dilute the Ivermectin.

So if you dilute by 1000
1 part Ivermectin
9 part solution

Then 1cc would = 1000ug
0.1cc=100ug

0.1 cc for a puppy (30 lbs)
0.2 cc for a 30 - 60 lbs dog
0.3 cc for a 60 - 90 lbs dog
0.4 cc for 90 lbs plus

At what age do you start your puppies on ivomec?