Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vitamin C

I've heard that some breeders/ puppy owners supplement their puppies with Vit-C while their puppies are teething. Can 'you' give me the reason why you give your puppies Vit-C? What's that suppose to do for the puppy?

I just bought a Vit-C for my puppy who's little over 4 months and she's starting teething. The one I bought is for humans and has 250mg of Vit-C... just wondering if I should give it to her or just eat it my self! LOL
TIA

Re: Vitamin C

Vit C is good for the immune system. I give 500mg daily to all my dogs. With pups I work up to that amount gradually.

anonbreeder
Vit C is good for the immune system. I give 500mg daily to all my dogs. With pups I work up to that amount gradually.

I never heard vit c is "good" for a immune system but I have heard it can boost a weak immune system. Its anyones guess if it's good for a normal developing immune system. I like my dogs to make their own vit c and there are more recent studies showing supplemental vit c in animals that make their own has a negative effect on the joints. I have heard of giving extra vit c while the pup is getting teeth though.

Can you point us to where these studies you talk of can be found?

And I heard that vit. C is good to strengthen weak pasterns.

Have a look at this: http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0039.htm

I've been giving Esther C since my pup was four months old. She's raw fed and probably doesn't get a lot of C from other sources. I think it's pretty hard to over dose on the water soluble vitamins but I only give 500mg/day. Who knows if/what it helps but she's solid and healthy, that's for sure!

The body only requires a certain amount of vitamin C, so what ever isn't absorbed is excreted through the urine. It's hard to overdose on "C"

I give 125mg of c per 25 lbs of weight (recommended by Dr. Pitcairne - in his book on holistic care for cats and dogs) and at a year of age give 1000mg daily.

I don't use Ester - don't want the calcium

I read that C with bioflavanoids is best for uptake.

I have always done this and my dogs have no joint issues.

It is for the immune system and for collegan.

It also works well for pain in higher doses to make the adrenal gland produce natural steroids. Or as an antihistimine. Amt to give is to bowel tollerance.