Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Line Breeding Question

Would it be too close to breed a bitch whose Father is a littermate to the mother of the stud dog?

Re: Line Breeding Question

Nope,Essentially it's a half brothercousin/halfcousinsister breeding. I did one of those using a half brother/sister cross with the same father and it was a very good breeding,one of my best!! However I knew the pedigree well so I wasn't suprised. My male is a carbon copy of his grandfather and one of my girls looks like her mother and grandmother(they look like the grandsires father)
So just be sure they have what you want because you will get what they are.

I will add though that this was a tight linebreeding behind the dams as well, not an outcross so my results were what I expected them to be.

I did that once and I was not happy with that breeding. The bitch'es sire was half brother to the sire's dam. So it was a half brothercousin/halfcousinsister breeding. I did not get what I hoped for.

You never know what you are going to end up with. 2 breedings with the same sire could produce 2 very different litters.

The line-breeding rule of thumb is that everything is OK other than parent/child or sibling/sibling. Naturally you have to be aware of what could pop up with a CLOSE line breeding, but it's not a bad combo if the right genes are there.

You can also bring out LOTS of bad genes that carry epilepsy and my other things we don't want in our dogs.