Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
blankets in whelping box

Have any of you used the moving blankets like you would get from u-haul in the whelping boxes ? Did
you like them ? Seems like they would be reasonably priced and are washable. I've used blankets very similar to them, and while it gives great cushion it's
harder for the girls to nest and bury their pups
under them since they are a denser heavier blanket

Re: blankets in whelping box

I also make blankets from 4 bath towels. They give the pups traction and are heavy so they don't shift in te box. Two sewn together lengthwise and then double that and stich around the edges. Quite heavy and they stay in place.

Right now they have "packing quilts" at Tractor Supply. They measure 45" X 73" (or very near that measurment). I believe they cost less the $6. I got some to put in the back of my suv when I'm carrying dogs.

Great Ideas!

we use the white hospital sheet blankets, a lucky find at a garage sale. We fold them in half, pull the ends and sides under the box, use 2 at a time, and that keeps them nice and tight and flat. We change them after each puppy and believe it or not with a little Oxyclean and Bleach and detergent, hot water all the blood and nasty stuff is washed out. We use them after all the pups arrive and put a looser weave blanket on top for traction. I have only had 3 litters and really there wasn't much issue with nesting except in the early stages so having them tightly under the box edges was nice. I haven't had to worry about a pup being covered up with anything. I put a heating pad under the blankets at one corner of the box and they pups can find it if they need it.

My whelping box has no bottom - I use sherpa fleece on top of towels for absorption, sold by the yard at fabric stores - I lay down the towels with the fleece on top and lift the corners of the whelping box and slide the fabrics under the edges so the box sits on top of the fleece and towels. Works very well. Fleece is warm and lets liquids seep through to the towels which absorb. All washable.

The second message from blankets was from a different poster - me! I didn't realize that the person before me had used that alias....

BreederZ you got many good suggestions including where to purchase them cheap.

What a nice thread, good ideas and how everyone was nice about a normal question. There are lots of them daily but not always handled as well as those that posted about blankets for a whelping box.

I learned some new whelping box blanket ideas and have no other ideas to offer, sorry. It was a pleasure to read this topic. Thanks for making this topic go the way all should.

My local Tractor Supply has the quilts at $5.00 I bought 20 of them!
One caution, if you have a bitch that digs the blankets up and makes them into a pile WATCH OUT pups can get rolled into the blankets and squashed. I have 1 bitch that cannot have anything in the box except newspapers as she digs and digs and the pups get rolled up. I have to watch her like a hawk.

I agree with Lois. I used to use blankets all the time. Then i had one get smothered. I only use newspapers and small scatter rugs. It really scares me.