Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
x-rays on bitch near heat cycle

I have an opportunity to have hip and elbow evals at a super price (and by a great vet) but my bitch will be very close to her heat cycle the day of the clinic; she may even BE in heat at that time. I know OFA suggests waiting two months before or after a cycle to x-ray. Have any of you ever taken the risk of x-raying a bitch near or in heat, and what were your results?

My head knows that I won't save any money at all if the x-rays have to be redone but the irrational side of me can't help wanting to take the risk...

Re: x-rays on bitch near heat cycle

The last two girls I had x-rayed were both in season during the time of the x-ray, one of them was on their
6th day of heat. Both girl got excellents on hips. I'm
beginng to think this is the way to get excellents

Similar here, had one done just a week prior to going into heat - she also rated excellent.

Really if hips aren't borderline they should not change that drastically with hormonal influence, should they?

Three days before coming in heat and got an excellent with my girl. Vet said she could count on one hand how many out of over 1,000 x-rays she's done changed when they re-filmed mid-cycle.

After doing many many x-rays over the years I never really noticed any problems related to heat cycles.

What I did pick up on was an increased laxity of the hips at what would be expected whelping times (~11-13 weeks after the start of a heat cycle). The laxity there I would expect due to the normal decrease in progesterone levels that all bitch's experience at that time.

My girl was rated MD (Subluxation)

I was planning to pull her from potential breeding program, I talked to Dr Keller & he said for me to have my girl to have the hips x-rayed again between cycles.

5 months later, she is in heat now, so I have to wait or is there a chance she will pass?

A bitch of mine came into season right after I recieved results. It was about 10 days from the x-rays to her 1st day of her season.

She was an OFA Good, Elbows normal. My vet felt she would rate Excellent but we hear that all the time.

It all depends on the bitch. With an inexpensive clinic and great at OFA's vet, I would take the chance if I were you. That doesn't mean do it, you have to be comfortable with your decision.