Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salmon oil suppliment good or bad for pregnant bitch ?

I had a reader mention that she had heard that possibly salmon oil supplimenting while a bitch is pregnant may be potentially harmful and could possibly cause cleft palates in the puppies . We were wishing to hear from you if there is documentation showing one way or the other .
Appreciate the imput.

Re: Salmon oil suppliment good or bad for pregnant bitch ?

Salmon oil I would suspect as being high in Vitamin A also and could cause cleft palates.

Avoid supplementing her with liver as it can cause cleft palates.

Google whatever you are thinking about adding and then add "teratogenic effects" to it.

I so appreciate this imput on the salmon oil potential harmful affects to my girl .Thank you

I have never heard of salmon oil causing cleft palates. Can you please provide some documentation to substantiate this?

There is some concern that some of the fish oils may contain unhealthy levels of mercury (for pregnant mammals- be they human or canine). Make sure that the salmon supplement that you use clearly says it is tested free of mercury! (they don't necessarily have to test).

I think the issue is if the oil contains too much Vit. A, since A in high doses can cause cleft palates. Body oil should not normally, liver oil does. Have to get a quality brand with good testing procedures and nutritional info. Molecular distillation, used in human fish oil supplements, takes out mercury and other heavy metals, and is more likely to carry full nutritional info.

This is a nice article, I didn't know that even stress can cause them:
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/cleftpalate.htm

I use Grizzly Salmon Oil and Solid Gold SeaMeal. At the time of my last litter, I was still able to get large bags ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach in my area (which I went to after the original ProPlan C & R formula change)... unfortunately it's not readily available in our area anymore. Continued with the oil & SeaMeal and SS & S through gestation and lactation. Easy whelping, large litter, no problems in puppies. Puppies were weaned onto ProPlan C & R original puppy formula, no supplements, as would be the norm here.