Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
breed weights

I don't want to be flamed or start a bickering fest - I would like honest answers so I can be better informed.

Can someone *nicely* explain to me why breeders think that Labradors need to be shown obese to be competitive in the show ring?

The US standard says " strongly built, medium-sized, short-coupled, dog possessing a sound, athletic, well-balanced conformation that enables it to function as a retrieving gun dog; the substance and soundness to hunt waterfowl or upland game for long hours under difficult conditions"

My comment is that these morbidly obese dogs in the show ring couldn't go sit in a blind and actually retrieve all day. How is that benefiting the breed? I don't consider a 100 lb Labrador in the show ring a "medium-sized" breed.

Again - not trying to cause a fight - I just want to be informed.

Re: breed weights

Just because a dog weighs 100lbs doesn't mean he's morbidly obese... it's all relevant to structure and balance. Sure, we've all seen dogs that are overweight in the ring and it looks funny and sure, we've all seen dogs that would look better with a little more weight too. What matters is not some specific number or pounds but rather correct proportion and balance all over. Someone who tells you that by putting weight on your dog it will do better at shows is revealing their lack of experience.

The standard clearly states height and corresponding weight ranges, but apparently the weight ranges are wrong. Sure don't see many 65-80# dogs doing well in the ring do we...

Doesn't the weight recommendation date back to the issues between the field and conformation people in the national club? My understanding was that the field people forced the weight recommendations through and thus created a battle about weight forever more.

Even the labs of 20 years ago that were successful in the show ring weighed more than 80 lbs. As another has said, it's about proportion. Don't fight the weight battle, you can't win (well mabye in the ring....lol).

Those dogs didn't weigh 95-100 20 yrs ago... I do think many weighed in the 80-85# range or less if shorter.

But the OP is not seeing things, there are many obese dogs being shown and I believe it's fueling some of the problems in the pet world especially with obese dogs. Those owners see it on TV and think it's correct. My own vet commented that many dogs being shown at a specialty recently were 20# overweight. And she put her hands on the dogs.

I have a 100 lab who is anything but fat. He has nice bone substance and balance which is what makes a nice lab. There is a big difference between a big balanced dog and a fat dog. There are fat dogs but say that the 100 lb dog is to big you are very misinformed. By the way, my 100 lb lab could go out and retrieve birds all day without any trouble. No many field labs can say that with all the jumping and barking and carrying on they do just for one bird.

I have a dog that is running in Masters and has earned points in the show ring. If I put the amount of weight on him that he needs to look like the other dogs in the show ring, there is no way he could do the amount of running he has to do. Even at the Master level, the dogs do not work as hard as a dog does in a hunting situation, since they typically are run on two or three set-ups a day and spend the rest of the time in a crate. Most of the dogs in the ring are carrying more weight than required for the working condition described by the standard. Occasionally I have found a judge who rewards hard working condition, and have put points on a dog that is simultaneously doing field work, but it is rare.

For the OP, most Lab breeders do not work their dogs and have no idea of the fitness required. Labs love to eat, and it is not easy to keep the weight off a sedentary Lab- I know this from my own retirees! The path of least resistance is to allow the weight to creep up, and if everyone does it, you can get away with it and still win. In fact, if everyone does it, you HAVE to do it to win. If your dog is the only one in which the ribs are showing (and in a really fit dog they do show), it is different from the others and doesn't look as good to the judges. It appears to lack substance. The only solution would be for judges to put more emphasis on fitness, but these days few breed judges work their dogs, so the chubby guys look great to them.

Wondering...
I don't want to be flamed or start a bickering fest - I would like honest answers so I can be better informed.

Can someone *nicely* explain to me why breeders think that Labradors need to be shown obese to be competitive in the show ring?

The US standard says " strongly built, medium-sized, short-coupled, dog possessing a sound, athletic, well-balanced conformation that enables it to function as a retrieving gun dog; the substance and soundness to hunt waterfowl or upland game for long hours under difficult conditions"

My comment is that these morbidly obese dogs in the show ring couldn't go sit in a blind and actually retrieve all day. How is that benefiting the breed? I don't consider a 100 lb Labrador in the show ring a "medium-sized" breed.

You say you don't want to be flamed or start a bickering fest, and that you want to be responded to "nicely" and that you are "not trying to cause a fight - I just want to be informed." ... then you proceed to state your case/question using some pretty inflammatory language. Clearly you don't need to be "informed" since you obviously have your answers already. How are YOU helping to promote a civilized discourse when you first get people all fired up? Just sayin'....

While many of these responses have been helpful (thanks Peggy) - and helped me understand a little more about these show weight dogs. Some have not been helpful and anyways...

An extra 20lbs on my girl would look awful - she has nice bone, spring of rib and is fit. I guess this will be her downfall if or when I show her.

I don't want my dogs to be too fat but I want them not to be skinny when I'm showing them. I would rather want them to carry a bit more weight than less in the show ring... but that's just me but like I said I don't want them to be obese! It's always the 'golden average way' not too much and not too little...

Not everyone knows what they are talking about with regard to showing labradors. Consider the source, use your own judgment. If you listen to what every single person/breeder tells you to do with your dog you will be running around doing 100 things and your head will be spinning. Look at your girl, at what weight does she look her best? Some look better with a little more weight and some don't, but 20 pounds does seem over the top. It also depends on the size of your girl. If she is smaller with substance she does not need extra weight. If she is taller with less substance she might look better with a few extra pounds. Like several others said it is all about the proportion of the individual dog.

Personally I'm tired of some people ONLY looking at 'hard working' condition and thinking their dog should win because it is in that type of condition. How about the other things in the standard that makes up a labrador? You know, correct head, correct coat, otter tail, etc. I can have my dog lose weight - although she doesn't need to - but I sure can't add 'type' to some of these dogs that are in 'working condition' either. I don't like an obese dog either but there should be some substance to the dog and no, ribs should not be seen in a labrador. I've had vets tell my pet people that their dog is in perfect weight - yeah, right...their ribs are showing and their spine is showing and they lost all the bone they had as puppies!

anonbreeder
I've had vets tell my pet people that their dog is in perfect weight - yeah, right...their ribs are showing and their spine is showing and they lost all the bone they had as puppies!

Ah, the problems is that is the perfect condition. One to two rear ribs showing, tuck behind the rib cage and a waist seen from above.

Check out the Purina life time study on their website. Every specialty Lab I've ever put my hands on is obese no matter what their owners try to say. To say that the Labradors these days are not obese is just hiding our heads in the sand.

I have a 100lbs boy that if I were to put into show weight would be 120 lbs. He's got normal elbows, good hips, PRA and EIC clear, lovely type and intelligent with working titles. However, I won't ever breed him because.... HE'S OUTSIDE BREED STANDARD.

It's unfortunate that you only think your dog would do well with an addt'l 20lbs, which is an incredible amount of weight for a Labrador, or any dog for that matter. Usually if they're on the lean side, 3-5lbs is more than enough to get them where they need to be which will NOT make them cripple or unable to perform in the field. Sound dogs are sound dogs- dogs can be un-fit at any weight.

How shortsighted of you to discard all of your boy's wonderful attributes because of one failing- there is no perfect dog and he really might have something wonderful to offer a bitch that may need size, etc.

EXACTLY and how about temperament????????????

anonbreeder
Personally I'm tired of some people ONLY looking at 'hard working' condition and thinking their dog should win because it is in that type of condition. How about the other things in the standard that makes up a labrador? You know, correct head, correct coat, otter tail, etc. I can have my dog lose weight - although she doesn't need to - but I sure can't add 'type' to some of these dogs that are in 'working condition' either. I don't like an obese dog either but there should be some substance to the dog and no, ribs should not be seen in a labrador. I've had vets tell my pet people that their dog is in perfect weight - yeah, right...their ribs are showing and their spine is showing and they lost all the bone they had as puppies!

anonbreeder

I agree with you... ribs should not be seen in a Labrador!!!! There is just something abnormal about that I think!

A few years ago I attended a judges seminar given by the LRC - asked a question about weight in the standard. Was basically told that was only a guideline and the overall balance and proportion of the dog should be looked at. So that tells me that even the LRC board members realize a 25 inch dog that weighs 75 pounds would be ridiculous.

I'm the person who made a comment about hard working condition. Believe me, that's not the only thing I consider when breeding and showing my dogs. I'm also a nut on coat texture (NOT length- well, yes, I am a nut on length, and longer is not necessarily better!), tail and tail set (and many of the tails I see these days are NOT wrapped), heads, all the things that people quote being important for Labrador type. In a quick reading of the standard I could not find a mention of bone per se. The closest to that is the following quote:

"Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat."

To me, this describes an animal with moderate bone, not legs like tree trunks. And by the ribs showing I mean exactly what another poster describes, the last couple ribs can be seen, not every one, and certainly the spine should not stick out.

Coat and substance do make a difference. I remember a fellow competitor at a hunt test asking to put her hands on my Receiver son, who had a lot of substance and a thick coat (but very soft texture. When he got wet, he was wet for hours). She exclaimed in surprise "He's not fat!" So coat can hide those ribs to a great extent. I also remember having that same dog entered in a show while he was running in hunt tests in good working condition and looking around the ring at the other dogs and thinking "We don't belong here" because he looked so thin compared to them. Well, sometimes you do get rewarded for being fit - he went winners that day for a 4 point major to finish his championship under a respected breeder of Golden retrievers.

I wanted to add that this happened 20 + years ago, so the situation is certainly not new.

Wondering...

I have to agree with the OP that I don't consider a 90-100 lb Lab a "medium-sized" dog. I've often wondered the same thing about how so many of the show Labs appear very overweight. A general rule of thumb regarding healthy weight of a dog is to run your hand over their ribs. Taken directly from the AKC Public Education page on "Healthy Dogs:"
"The best way to tell if your dog is overweight is to feel his rib-cage area. You should be able to feel the ribs below the surface of the skin without much padding." I've seen Labs in rings with lots and lots of padding! Just my own observations.

As long as so many of the current breeders competing in conformation think so little of the parent club (understatement!), the LRC, those breeders will continue to go their own way and breed what they like, standard be damned. And they'll continue to win. Hard to argue with success...

anonbreeder

short sighted

How shortsighted of you to discard all of your boy's wonderful attributes because of one failing- there is no perfect dog and he really might have something wonderful to offer a bitch that may need size, etc.

But I am not being short sighted. In the long run do we really want 100 lbs to be the norm? The Lab is a MEDIUM sized dog. In my mind 100lbs is not medium sized. His size gets in the way when he is working, he doesn't last as long in the field and takes longer to recover than my 65lb bitch.

And breeding a large dog to a small bitch doesn't add size consistently. Breed to the size you want not a behemoth.

Fit for Function, Fit for Life, Re: breed weights

What about all of us who claim to breed an "English Labrador" in the US? Anyone remember the dogs at recent Crufts after the Fit for Life campaign went into place? To me, those dogs looked good, not lacking in substance or type, overall. I like to see a Labrador's true topline, two ribs not quite visible under a thick coat, more of an 1980s or so show weight, although angulation has by and large improved these days. Fit for Function, Fit for Life as they say in the Kennel Club. I dearly love the dogs of a noted breeder-judge and author who once wrote that her dogs gained bone after they reached full height. She attached photos of her famous dogs. I roared--I too gained broader wrists, ankles, and a broader watch band when my waistline expanded. I seriously doubt that I gained bone in my late 20s! That being said, a Lab can do with a little roundness in the show ring, but not the 20 lbs or more some handlers find they need to gain to win! Let's stop that madness. It is harder on the dogs, although one might get a more placid dog if it is too heavy to move. Then again, one might just get a tank even harder to stop on the end of a thin lead! I am pleased to see that some gorgeous recent winners from breeder-judges in the NE US are fit looking and had a waist. That includes the author I mentioned, with her very fit specialty winners who can trot and trot and show and show. Bravo!

I have a medium size bitch who weighs around 87lbs and just under 22 inches at the withers. she has very thick dense bone, yet you can feel her ribs. And yes she can, and does a days work and lasts. Weights are very subjective, and should only be used as a guideline. No two dogs and whats behind them are alike. JMHO

Let's face it, fashion rules. What's in right now is fat. Definitely not morbidly obese, sometimes obese, but more often just plain fat. Chances are the pendulum will take a swing in the opposite direction. Until then, bring on the kibble.

General Appearance
Strongly built, short-coupled, very active; broad in skull; broad and deep through chest and ribs; broad and strong over loins and hindquarters.

Characteristics
Good-tempered, very agile (which precludes excessive body weight or excessive substance). Excellent nose, soft mouth; keen love of water. Adaptable, devoted companion.

I should have also included the following:

Body
Chest of good width and depth, with well sprung barrel ribs - this effect not to be produced by carrying excessive weight. Level topline. Loins wide, short-coupled and strong.

Size
Ideal height at withers: dogs: 56-57 cms (22-221/2 ins); bitches: 55-56 cms (211/2-22 ins).

anon
I have a medium size bitch who weighs around 87lbs and just under 22 inches at the withers. she has very thick dense bone, yet you can feel her ribs. And yes she can, and does a days work and lasts. Weights are very subjective, and should only be used as a guideline. No two dogs and whats behind them are alike. JMHO

Yes, well, I have a bitch with great bone, substance and muscle, 22 inches, and about 70 lbs.

Words like fat, obese, and thin are subjective--also where people put their hands to feel ribs. But weight and height are not subjective.

I've a bitch that is about 75 lbs and she's in perfect shape and body condition. She's in normal height, not small at all. She could have more bones and if she would have more bones she would probably be little heavier. I have another bitch that is around 66.1 lbs... she carries a bit more bones that the other bitch but she's a bit smaller and a bit too thin for my taste. She needs to gain about 6 or 7 pounds to be perfect for me.
I have a male that is about 99 lbs and he looks perfect...he's not too big... and not fat. He's just big boned, with big teddy bear like head and nice compact body. I would not want him to be thinner than he is! He could work all day retrieving... but he may not be as fast as the lighter dogs are.... but he gets the job done ;)

The word obese would be objective if it had a formally accepted definition...which I think it does. I believe for people the accepted standard for obesity is 20% above the high end of the ideal body weight range.

By this definition (and I am not sure that I am correct), a bitch who should weigh 70 lbs and who actually weighed 84 lbs would be considered obese.

If you use the AKC standard weights and heights, a 23.5 inch bitch who weights 84 lbs would be, by definition, obese. Also remember, that by the world's standards, a 23.5 inch bitch is very tall.

The other thing is that bone doesn't have nearly the density of fat, muscle or water. Therefore the excuse of being "big boned" is not valid.

I like the way the English standard makes the distinction between excessive weight and excessive substance. These are different things and both are incorrect.

An incorrect coat can also make a dog look heavy.

Weight

I have a male that is about 99 lbs and he looks perfect...he's not too big... and not fat. He's just big boned, with big teddy bear like head and nice compact body.

Do you consider him to be a medium sized dog? That is what the standard calls for.

If he is not with in breed standard, he should not be bred. That's my opinion... for what ever it is worth.

I just got my LQ today. After looking through it, I realized that there is a good reason that our wonderful breed has gotten the nickname of Pigador.

English Standard
The word obese would be objective if it had a formally accepted definition...which I think it does. I believe for people the accepted standard for obesity is 20% above the high end of the ideal body weight range.

By this definition (and I am not sure that I am correct), a bitch who should weigh 70 lbs and who actually weighed 84 lbs would be considered obese.

If you use the AKC standard weights and heights, a 23.5 inch bitch who weights 84 lbs would be, by definition, obese. Also remember, that by the world's standards, a 23.5 inch bitch is very tall.

The other thing is that bone doesn't have nearly the density of fat, muscle or water. Therefore the excuse of being "big boned" is not valid.

I like the way the English standard makes the distinction between excessive weight and excessive substance. These are different things and both are incorrect.

An incorrect coat can also make a dog look heavy.

Although fundamentally I agree with you and with the English standard, the definition of human obesity still is still a problem because we have many ways of defining the ideal body weight. Obesity is just a difficult area to define.

That being said, it's probably easier for a person outside our breed to see the obesity than those breeders who accept heaviness in our breed as the norm. Once I was showing a GSP breeder LQ, and she was just horrified by the obesity--and she was not comparing Labs to GSPs; long ago she had bred Labs.

I agree that people do need to look at other breeds. Knowing what a fit dog looks like is one example but also there are so many aspects to evaluating structure that the individual standards do not get into. We should know a lot about dogs in general. Watch other breeds work. Horse people often have a great eye for dogs even if they have never been to a dog show.

There are many people who never see other dogs unless they are at a specialty, looking at pictures on the internet or in the Quarterly, or when visiting other breeder friends. If your eye is used to seeing fat dogs, they look normal to you. Go to a hunt test, an all-breed show, a dog sled race, a horse show.....

Like someone posted before, it is just fashionable right now to be fat. The pendulum will swing back eventually.

And please, people need to stop using the excuse that our standard stinks. Maybe it does, that is not my point. If you don't want to follow the AKC standard, then follow the English one. I don't care if you breed to the Lithuanian standard. Just stop assuming that fashionable is correct and respect the breed.

Well, I've been to plenty of hunt tests and most of those dogs (unless they are 'show' bred or partially 'show' bred) don't even look like labradors. Typical look is single coat, greyhound tail, pointed muzzle..did you ever listen to MRW CD (her speech from 1986 to a English KC)? She mentioned how greyhounds were introduced into the labrador line and we still see the effects of that - particularly the humpy back and the tail.

anonbreeder
Well, I've been to plenty of hunt tests and most of those dogs (unless they are 'show' bred or partially 'show' bred) don't even look like labradors. Typical look is single coat, greyhound tail, pointed muzzle..did you ever listen to MRW CD (her speech from 1986 to a English KC)? She mentioned how greyhounds were introduced into the labrador line and we still see the effects of that - particularly the humpy back and the tail.

Your observations are correct. But are they related to weight (or structure)?

The weights and heights in the AKC Standard do not seem to be consistent. Is the problem with the weights or with the heights?

Maybe the weight ranges are where Labrador should be but the heights are way too tall. If this is true, you could have a 100 lb balanced dog, but not a 100 lb balanced Labrador.

Breeder
Let's face it, fashion rules. What's in right now is fat. Definitely not morbidly obese, sometimes obese, but more often just plain fat. Chances are the pendulum will take a swing in the opposite direction. Until then, bring on the kibble.

It's unfortunate that breeders are showing such overweight dogs. It's not healthy and such body condition doesn't exemplify the fit, athletic dog that the Labrador should be. Sometimes I can't believe my eyes when I see gigantic love-handles on some of the dogs, no waistline, or little to no muscle-tone whatsoever. I'm just a newbie but I know fat when I see fat. And in my opinion, so many of the dogs being shown are not MEDIUM sized dogs! Some of them are gigantic! The sad part is that at two shows I overheard spectators chatting about why the Labs in the ring were so overweight. Wish I could have answered them, but I'm with the OP on this topic...I just don't get it.

anon too
Breeder
Wish I could have answered them, but I'm with the OP on this topic...I just don't get it.

Me neither. Fat has never equaled substance, fat just equals fat.