Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
progesterone number and breeding dates

I am interested in hearing what that board thinks about breeding dates for this bitch. The bitch owner is working with a vet clinic and I've been instructed on the date(s) to ship semen, which I will. I'm just interested in other opinions.
The breeding will be with chilled semen, normal AI.

Progesterone tested Tues, 8/24 = 2.9 ng
Progesterone tested Sat, 8/28 = 6.89 ng

When would you inseminate the girl?

Thanks!

Re: progesterone number and breeding dates

Tuesday is the day! That should do it.

I agree, or if you are doing 2 shipments, Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday.

If just one breeding I'd do Tuesday. If two I'd do Monday and Wednesday.

I would do Monday & Wednesday also.

Hi Keri~ I'm w/ Liz...one breeding, do on Tues. If two, Mon/Wed. If you're using chill 5, and you get a good concentrated collection, they can easily split one vial you send them into two breedings~

Thanks for your input. It's 2 breedings and I'm supposed to ship for Tuesday/Wednesday. I was thinking Monday/Wednesday or Monday/Tuesday: early coverage and sperm should still be viable on Tuesday.
I think Tuesday is a good day, just like having "stuff" in there and ready to go......thanks again!

I was thinking Mon/Wed too, but who ships on the weekend so that it could actually arrive on on Monday? I didn't think FEDEX took deliveries on the weekend for Monday. Tuesday and Thursday will be fine. I would do two as well...I did one last time and it bit me in the butt. I would rather not spare the expense going forward...

You can ship Fed-ex on Saturday for a Monday morning delivery. I personally like to breed the first time on the early side too and another two days later. If I don't have that luxury then breed two days in a row. So I would breed Monday morning, and late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. It would make me nervous to wait until Tuesday for the first breeding.

I would have done Sunday and Tuesday. If she was 6.89 on Sat, she could have ovulated on Friday and eggs would be ready Sunday. That's just me - if doing 2 ai's

Lab Breeder
I would have done Sunday and Tuesday. If she was 6.89 on Sat, she could have ovulated on Friday and eggs would be ready Sunday. That's just me - if doing 2 ai's

I agree. But she will still be covered.. 6.89 on Sat, she probably hit 5 Friday into Friday night, 48 hours later is Sunday. JMO but again she's covered, or should be

If I were doing a natural regular breeding, I would do Sunday and Tuesday. I like to error early and especially if driving is involved, might as well do it on a weekend. Monday and Wednesday would be fine (or just Monday or Tuesday as long as you got a good tie).

If I were AI'ing, I would prefer Monday and Wednesday. But since shipping is an issue on weekends, I would do Tuesday and if it was a good collection, call it a day. If Tuesday's is not so great, have another shipped for Wednesday (or Thursday).

I just looked back at a previous breeding - I had just about exactly the same number to work with - 6.9 - but didn't receive the progesterone results until we had already done an AI the following morning. Events conspired against us and there was no second shipment, however I did get a nice litter of 9. The same bitch had missed an earlier attempt when bred 4 days after a 5.0.

Progesterone numbers are an "indication" of what is going on, but are not exact.

my experience
I just looked back at a previous breeding - I had just about exactly the same number to work with - 6.9 - but didn't receive the progesterone results until we had already done an AI the following morning. Events conspired against us and there was no second shipment, however I did get a nice litter of 9. The same bitch had missed an earlier attempt when bred 4 days after a 5.0.

Progesterone numbers are an "indication" of what is going on, but are not exact.

Your last sentence is so correct. The LH surge would be exact but is not done easily.

When you missed 4 days after 5.0 you prolly wouldn't have if you bred 24 hours sooner. The average guestimate is 48 to 72 hours after 5.0. Depends on how fast or slow the girl's no.'s move up. I like to have another progesterone level drawn with results at 48 hours after 5.0. If the no.'s are moving slow I will keep the semen in the refrigeration another day until 72 hours. If the reverse I inseminate immediately. Another $100 spent can help with the tools.

As mentioned in other postings, Premate sounds really good. Breeders that produce lots of pups tend to use it. For those of us with a normal amount of girls and litters; it's not worth it to spend the money on all the tools needed for it. Too bad the vet offices don't use it even as a back-up. It would be much cheaper. That's why hi-producing kennels do use it, it saves them lots of money in progesterone testing on groups of girls. The only time they have to spend what the rest of us do on regular Antech type progesterone testing is if there is a stud-dog owner involved and they request Antech-type testing. Premate does sound like it works really well. I heard from SE breeder at the Potomac 2 years before that the large-producing kennels rarely miss using it unless there is something wrong with the girl. Interesting. It's another way to test that sounds really accurate and is much cheaper than regular progesterone testing. I'll never have enough girls and breedings to use it unless a group of breeders Labby or not; shared in the equipment and someone could draw blood. That's something to think about.

JMO but how stupid is that post. ONLY high volume breeders use pre mate or use it if a stud dog owner requires it. Dumb comment. I know many breeders who use Pre Mate and only have a couple of girls. People use it because it's easy and saves money. No other reason. Contrary, there are "higher" volume breeders with breeding programs that only use numbers.