Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Premate

I used Premate for the first time today. Centrifuging the blood and using the serum. I followed the directions closely but at the end I could not see a difference in any of the pink colorings. They all appeared to be the same dark pink color, both controls for high and low progesterone and my serum. Anyone know what i might be doing wrong.

Re: Premate

Field Lab Breeder
I used Premate for the first time today. Centrifuging the blood and using the serum. I followed the directions closely but at the end I could not see a difference in any of the pink colorings. They all appeared to be the same dark pink color, both controls for high and low progesterone and my serum. Anyone know what i might be doing wrong.

How long did you wait before checking it? You should see a color change after about 5-10 minutes in the final stage. At 15 minutes is when you get your final results. However, if you don't check by 15 minutes, it will all end up dark at the end if you just let sit too long. Make sure you keep it covered too. Hope that makes sense.

It could also be the way you used the water when rinsing the wells. The directions say turn on tap water but if you use cold water or warm water it will change your results on Standard B. Standard B should always be clear at the end, that's what you match your bitch to. But, if the temperature of the water was wrong and you did not rinse the wells properly it will change the results of Standard B and show hot pink. This is exactly where most people go wrong with the test and end up saying it doesnt work. IF standard B turned hot pink too, that means the test is off. If you put your e mail address on this thread I can help you.

The other poster was also correct, you have to time things as directions say and check when the timer goes off. If you checked the 2nd part 25 minutes later instead of 15, all the wells will be hot pink.

I used Luke warm water for rinsing. I covered with a paper towel and did not look at it for the 15 minutes. All tubes were hot pink. I got my breeding today so I will not be taking another Progesterone test for a while. Both of your replies were very helpful and I will try it again when the time comes. Is there a Progesterone test that is easier to read?