Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DNA, EIC and PRA genetic testing companies

I'm getting set to take my boy in for some preliminary health clearances. I'm going to do the EIC test through the University of Minnesota and wanted to have my vet draw blood for the Optigen Test at the same time..using Optigen Company. My question is, in trying to keep the costs down, I was thinking of having extra blood drawn for his DNA test. I've never done DNA testing before and was on the Optigen site and didn't see a specific form for Labrador breed on DNA testing. Do I have to send a blood sample to another company and if so, which company is the best to use ?

Re: DNA, EIC and PRA genetic testing companies

You can get your EIC for $58 and any other additional test for $20 extra dollars. This is with DDC in Ohio. I just ordered an EIC and a coat color test for a dog for $78. Wish they could do the PRA test, but not yet.

Stud Dog Owner
I'm getting set to take my boy in for some preliminary health clearances. I'm going to do the EIC test through the University of Minnesota and wanted to have my vet draw blood for the Optigen Test at the same time..using Optigen Company. My question is, in trying to keep the costs down, I was thinking of having extra blood drawn for his DNA test. I've never done DNA testing before and was on the Optigen site and didn't see a specific form for Labrador breed on DNA testing. Do I have to send a blood sample to another company and if so, which company is the best to use ?

The DNA test can be done with a cheek swab. AKC will accept no other DNA than the one they sell.

Other than the fact the OFA will only list U Minn, does anyone have any reason that they would pick U Minn over DDC for the EIC test?

Here is a link to AKC and their DNA program...
http://www.akc.org/dna/

They have prepaid kits, or kits that you can order for free, and pay when you submit the sample. There are links to the kits on the sidebar on the left. The cost is $40.00 per dog.

The U of MN gives a portion of the testing fee back to the Canine Health Foundation (which funded the research).

The U also provides vet and breeder counseling regarding test results.

fellow scientist
The U of MN gives a portion of the testing fee back to the Canine Health Foundation (which funded the research).

Is this on their site before I go looking for it? Thank you.

?
fellow scientist

Is this on their site before I go looking for it? Thank you.

On the U of MN report and also on their fee page:

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/canineneuro/home.html#eic

Disclosure of financial interests: This test was developed through financial support from the AKC Canine Health Foundation. A portion of the proceeds from the test will be returned to the AKC Canine Health Foundation to further its mission to improve the health of all dogs. Drs. Mickelson, Patterson and Taylor; and Minor, RN are the patent owners of this genetic test and a portion of the proceeds will go toward patent royalties.