Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possible Pregnant Bitch & exercise

I have a nice 9' stock pond with a saltwater pump.... she really loves the water and am wondering if you let your pregnant girls swim regularly... I will not know until later in Sept if she is actually pregnant... Thanks for your advice

Re: Possible Pregnant Bitch & exercise

I don't let mine swim if pg. Don't want to risk possible infection from the water.

I let my girls do what ever they would normally do. They still go for walks/swims right up until there due or are just to big for anything besides the coach.
I had a friend who still ran his dog in hunt tests while pregnate, she had 9 pups.

Swimming is great exercise for a PG girl. I still do field work with them as long as it isn't too hot.

Good for them to be in top shape when they go into whelp.

MWK

No swimming, just continue long walks and normal daily routine.

A repro vet told me no swimming for the first 3 weeks after breeding. After that fine to swim.

Mine go for 3 mile offlead romps along a big irrigation canal up until they say enough--- about the last 7-10 days normally. I try to knock off the swimming ~10 d to 2 wks before due date just because the mucous plug may be breaking up a bit by then, but other than that, they are free to do as they feel comfortable. I'm a firm believer of having my girls in good working condition thru whelp as I've had some long ones here, but so far, no problems w/ natural deliveries-- even w/ my 58# mom who had 6 big pups (16-19+ oz) last litter. Anne