Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Agility?

I have a 24 month old bitch who didn't make height for the show ring. I am very interested in agility, and would like to start classes with her, and eventually compete. She's very food motivated, not totally toy motivate (will fetch a toy a couple times, then gets sick of it). She's kind of a slower learner, but does try. Would she be a good candidate? Or, do I need a super drivey, smarter dog?

For instance, I was trying to teach her to go around a cone the other day, she was on my left, so I stepped out with my left food, put my left hand forward and asked her to go past it, then I wanted her to turn left around it (I did side-step to the left and call her to me), and come back to me. She would go past it, turn right and come back on the right side of the obsticle, trying to get back to the treat. So this me suggest she tries so hard to get the treat, she doesn't concentrate at the task at hand, and gets kind of confused and learns at a slower rate.

If she doesn't sound like a decent agility prospect, I might place her. She is ready to try for her RN, though I'm not a rally, or obedience fan, but she does knows her commands.

Thanks!
(Oh, not after huge titles, just want to use her to get my feet wet and have fun, but I do want to compete with her).

Re: Agility?

I do agility with all 3 of my dogs, and there isn't a slower moving freight train than hawke, but she LOVES agility, even now at age 10, running CPE agility with a lower jump height, she really enjoys it. All 3 of my labs are very food motivated, and they rapidly figured out that if they do the task right they get the cookie. They really enjoy it.

Its good , IMHO to have a smaller lab, they don't have to jump the crazy heights taller labs do.

One warning, agility can be very addictive, the agility community can be a fun bunch and you may find once you are ready to compete that you're off every weekend to a trial

Thanks for the reply. I think we'll give it a go!
Are yours very toy motivated, or, does a dog HAVE to be super toy motivated to excell? She'll do anything for a treat.

She's a leaner girl, too, so she's got that as a plus, I feel.

I suppose she might be a good intro dog for me, perhaps. I know a lot of agility is learning how to correctly handle them and give the correct cues, etc.

Hi,
I think you should give it a try. It is way, easier to train a dog when you have a variety of ways to reinforce the behavior and ones that encourage motion and movement like toys and playing with toys.

I don't think it is the toy .. but rather the interaction with the toy that is important to teach. My dog retrieves like a fool but I rarely reward by throwing the toy away from me. Rather the toy is placed so we can have a good game of tug . This gets a dog driving into my side and to me when I ask for it.

What you were doing with the cone sounds like a rear Cross?

There are plenty of teams out there without toy drive.. doing agility.. it just makes it so much more fun!!!

Good Luck
Kim and MACH 2 The Captain's Frequent Flyer UD,JH,MXF, WC,CC

Good advice, thank you.
Is there a way to teach a dog to tug? She has never tugged, her mouth is so soft the second I try and tug, she lets go. She kind of tugs with other dogs, though. She also will retrieve like stuffed animals and stuff, throw a bone, no interest, throw a stuffie and she'll retrieve it.

And yes, I think I was practicing a rear cross. That would be there you send them over the jump and then they turn tight either left or right, which every way you need them to, and continue on? Maybe it's just a tight turn after the jump? See how new I am, I was just reading "at home" exercises I could do, before we start a class. She is my baby, so I'd love to be able to get into this with her, but, I'd also like to not spend money on a class if she doesn't have what it takes (times are tough, I want to compete, and if she won't make it, I can't affor her and another who will, so would have to rehome her, an I'm anxious to get started).

Thanks again.

Yes,
there are free articles at this website .. and here is one on how to create a motivating toy.
http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm
Teaching the dog the tugging game does not develop a hard mouth if you teach it as a game that you control.

A soft dog may need to win the game more often initially.

A rear cross is a more difficult concept as the dog needs to drive ahead of you and you cross behind them.
I would start with simple post turns.. Dog stays on Right.. goes out around the cone.. you turn and dog comes back to right. ( same for left).

Then you might try a front cross where dog goes out off of right, and while the dog goes around the cone.. you cross in front of your dog actually looking at them for a moment and they end up on your left side.

Take care to reward the the hand closest to the dog at all times. You want then on your side not in front of you... so reward on the side and they will go there.

Ok.. and ..It is the memories and fun of the journey that is the best.. long after the ribbons and title certificates are forgotten..it is the daily training fun that you have with your dog that is what you will cherish.

Best to you.
Kim and Ranger

How old do you all think a dog should be before starting agility training? I have one who would love it but she's 22 months old. I am concerned about joint damage????

"How old do you all think a dog should be before starting agility training? I have one who would love it but she's 22 months old. I am concerned about joint damage????"

Start them as young as possible with age-appropriate exercises. Think of how the assistance-dog and guide-dog schools train the baby puppies with obstacles, such as tunnels, ramps, jumps, etc. Don't jump a dog full height until bone growth has stopped--at least 18 months. A breeder can make lots of tunnels out of cardboard boxes and steps out of bricks and concrete for a litter. A wobble board is easy, and so are ramps. This is puppy enrichment any breeder can do. The formal stuff is later, with stays, baby obstacles, and VERY low jump heights. Then you move on up. Even going up and down a flight of stairs on the way to bed in the house can help a pup learn to touch and wait in the contact zone!

Re: Agility?- sorry long

I have been training my 4 y/o boy, w/weekly classses since he was 6 mo.-That being said, I have a trainer that requires the usual manners classes etc . Then move on to several "communications" classes ( months) then "putting it all together" classes, months. To build a safe, trusting relationship w/your dog. Learning body language, hand signals etc.-Body awareness for the pup. Safely learning all the contacts,weaves - that sort of thing and mastering that, before ever jumping high. I still only jump my boy at 16' b/c I dont intend to compete.I just do it to keep my very smart & athletic boy, in good mental & physical shape.The facility and equiptment is also SO important.Its all about safety too. The dog walk we use costs over $1000. & is a monster to move,its rubber matted, solid & safe. The facility is a huge indoor horse ring ,high ceilings- very safe packed sand for footing.
Good luck with your pup.