Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Subaru Forester

OK, I know the ranks of the Subaru Forester lovers are legendary, but what about the haters and detracters, and for what reasons?
Just curious, wanting to know the worst.
If you have any regrets from owning a Forester, I would like to know, thanks in advance.

Re: Subaru Forester

Hate mine. Uncomfortable seats with no arm rests. Door won't open from inside without unlocking, which is totally unsafe. No room to put stuff near the driver. No key hole to open back, so you must use the beepy thing. So many things about it annoy me. Will never get another.

I've had mine now for about a month and a half. Overall I love it. I am in the 2010 Limited Model, coming out of a Saab 9-5 sedan that my husband took in on trade. (He's a salesman).
The likes: I love how it drives and rides.
I have found it quite comfortable.
Great sounding sound system
Excellent visibility.
Decent gas mileage for an AWD vehicle.
huge moonroof
turns on a dime

Small annoyances:
No computer to tell me how many miles to empty or current gas mileage. (spoiled from the saab)
3 fobs- 1 key, 1 remote for locks & hatch, 1- remote starter
Subaru recommends waiting for your coolant to warm up before driving. (there's a blue light that comes on and turns off when ready.

I guess these are probably the ones that stick out the most in my mind. It's big enough for me to cart 2 dogs and my photography gear. That is all I need though. The outback is going to give you a little more cargo space, and is going to cost a few thousand more.

Unless you love the Forester for other reasons (like price), I would recommend you look at the big brother, the Outback. The 2010 Forester can't fit two dog crates behind the back passenger seat. You can with the Outback. Just a bit longer and wider. It gives you more options for carying dogs and people. I found it a little more comfortable as well.

I love my Forester, it's the most reliable car I have ever owned and pretty much holds whatever I'm wanting to haul. Eight years old and paint still looks new. Nicely finished, no rust anywhere. Feels safe. That said, here's the downsides for me:

The gas mileage isn't great, 21 city, 26 highway
The seats are hard and uncomfortable for long trips.
Wind noise is pretty loud.
Holds only one 32" crate.
Not much fun to drive, not a lot of pickup and a little top-heavy on a curve.
Did I mention the seats are uncomfortable?

I'll probably get another one soon though. The pluses outweigh the minuses for me. I need a reliable, safe vehicle I can keep for a long time.

Forester Owner
I love my Forester, it's the most reliable car I have ever owned and pretty much holds whatever I'm wanting to haul. Eight years old and paint still looks new. Nicely finished, no rust anywhere. Feels safe. That said, here's the downsides for me:

The gas mileage isn't great, 21 city, 26 highway
The seats are hard and uncomfortable for long trips.
Wind noise is pretty loud.
Holds only one 32" crate.
Not much fun to drive, not a lot of pickup and a little top-heavy on a curve.
Did I mention the seats are uncomfortable?

I'll probably get another one soon though. The pluses outweigh the minuses for me. I need a reliable, safe vehicle I can keep for a long time.

My Ford is 20 years old, and has 275,000 miles on it. And the seats are comfy captains chairs.